Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cable Amplifier Placement

Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

Here's what I have:

The incoming cable is split right after the cable modem tap with a
three way splitter. One of the lines off the three way goes from the
basement to the attic of a two story colonial where it is again split
with a three way spitter. This feeds 3 TV's on the second floor.

My main question is this: Is the problem with splitters/long runs just
an signal amplitude issue that an amp can fix either before or after
the degradation, or does the signal actually lose quality that even an
amp can't fix if placed after the splitter/long run?

The answer to that question will help me determine the placement of an
amp if I want to boost the signal for the 3 TV's on the second floor.

1 - At the main cable before it is split in the basement (1 In - 1 Out
amp, then the 3 way)
2 - In place of the 3 way in the basement (1 In - 4 Out amp, no
splitter)
3 - At the beginning of the long run to the attic (After the 3 way,
then 1 In - 1 Out Amp)
3 - In the attic before the 3-way splitter (1 In - 1 Out Amp, then the
3 way)
4 - In place of the 3 way in the attic. (1 In - 4 Out amp, no
splitter)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Did you talk to yout cable company? I neve experienced a weak cable
signal. Always it's strength is more than what I need.
Rule of thumb is you boost weak signal close at the source(at the cable
enterance to your house). An example, you always install the TV antenna
signal booster on the mast not at the bottom of tower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you amplify a weak (noisy) signal you will just amplify the noise.
It should be put before the splitter so it can amplify a good signal.
You may need more then 1 amp

On Jan 27, 3:30 pm, "DerbyDad03" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

Here's what I have:

The incoming cable is split right after the cable modem tap with a
three way splitter. One of the lines off the three way goes from the
basement to the attic of a two story colonial where it is again split
with a three way spitter. This feeds 3 TV's on the second floor.

My main question is this: Is the problem with splitters/long runs just
an signal amplitude issue that an amp can fix either before or after
the degradation, or does the signal actually lose quality that even an
amp can't fix if placed after the splitter/long run?

Your problem is too many splits, moreso than
the long run.

In your situation, an amp placed between the
splitters should correct your problem. Unless
you're talking about a run of hundreds of metres,
you should be able to put a 1 in 1 out amp at
either end of the run to the top floor.

Either Option 3, or your other option 3.

4 would work too, but I'm guessing it's $$$.

HTH

The answer to that question will help me determine the placement of an
amp if I want to boost the signal for the 3 TV's on the second floor.

1 - At the main cable before it is split in the basement (1 In - 1 Out
amp, then the 3 way)
2 - In place of the 3 way in the basement (1 In - 4 Out amp, no
splitter)
3 - At the beginning of the long run to the attic (After the 3 way,
then 1 In - 1 Out Amp)
3 - In the attic before the 3-way splitter (1 In - 1 Out Amp, then the
3 way)
4 - In place of the 3 way in the attic. (1 In - 4 Out amp, no
splitter)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whoops..too many 3's! I added a number 2 and forgot to keep updating
my number!

Thanks...I actually have a 1 In 4 Out splitter, so I'll try that in
the attic and see how things work. Thanks again.

On Jan 27, 4:39 pm, Randy Day wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

Here's what I have:

The incoming cable is split right after the cable modem tap with a
three way splitter. One of the lines off the three way goes from the
basement to the attic of a two story colonial where it is again split
with a three way spitter. This feeds 3 TV's on the second floor.

My main question is this: Is the problem with splitters/long runs just
an signal amplitude issue that an amp can fix either before or after
the degradation, or does the signal actually lose quality that even an
amp can't fix if placed after the splitter/long run?Your problem is too many splits, moreso than

[...]

splitter)- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe it's overkill, but I put a 1 In 1 Out amp before the first
splitter in the basement and 1 In 4 Out at the end of the 3 story run
into the attic. Reception at all TV's is fine, so I'm satisified.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

splitter)- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Jan 2007 16:11:45 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

Maybe it's overkill, but I put a 1 In 1 Out amp before the first
splitter in the basement and 1 In 4 Out at the end of the 3 story run
into the attic. Reception at all TV's is fine, so I'm satisified.

It's hard to believe that added anything, but apparently if I had had
the patience to read and process your first post, it did.

I got confused by your post (not that it was badly written. I'm just
impatient today) and I can't even tell if I'm agreeing with the
answers you got, but I'll tell you what I did. I put in splitters
everytime the signal had to split, and when the signal got too weak, I
replaced a splitter with an amp or an amp/splitter. That's probably
half way between the last amp and the farthest tv, when it is
installed. On at least some stations I get a perfect picture at the
far end of the string, and on others, I don't get a perfect picture
even at the VCR that starts things off. I have 6 splitters (counting
the ones in amps) and two amps. With tvs in 8 rooms (counting the
attic and one bathroom.)

I agree that run length doesn't much matter. When I first got cable,
I asked him to put the cable box not on the tv but in the closet 4
feet away. He said he wasnt' sure if that would work but it did.
Later when I ran a line to the basement and from the back wall of the
basement to the front, plus slack back and forth while running the
line, it was about 100 feet without an amp** and the picture on local
stations was perfect. Why he thought 4 feet might be a problem, I
don't know.

**Later I had to add an amp when I split the signal for a tv in the
laundry room/workshop.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

In the TRASH.

If you have a crappy signal, call the cable company and tell them to fix it.

You could have TOO MUCH signal and it will mess up your picture.

Most picture problems are not from the amount of signal, but are from the
amount of stray interference getting into the cable at bad crimps and
damaged cables.

A cable amp is about the worst thing you can do if you've got a bad TV
picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 02:36:19 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

In the TRASH.

EVEN when it could have helped your problem :-)

If you have a crappy signal, call the cable company and tell them to fix it.

If the signal is crappy where it enters your house. It helps to try a
portable TV there.

You could have TOO MUCH signal and it will mess up your picture.

If you put an amp in, and the picture gets WORSE, then you know you're
better off without it.

Most picture problems are not from the amount of signal, but are from the
amount of stray interference getting into the cable at bad crimps and
damaged cables.

A cable amp is about the worst thing you can do if you've got a bad TV
picture.

It won't hurt to TRY it. You don't usually know the source of the
problem. However, if an amplifier is needed it needs to be inserted at
a point where the signal level is normal (BEFORE the cable run with
loss).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in
newsmcwh.834094$5R2.168564@pd7urf3no:

Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

In the TRASH.

If you have a crappy signal, call the cable company and tell them to
fix it.

You could have TOO MUCH signal and it will mess up your picture.

Most picture problems are not from the amount of signal, but are from
the amount of stray interference getting into the cable at bad crimps
and damaged cables.

Signal-to-noise ratio,very important.

and a bad/loose connector can GENERATE noise.(from corrosion)

A cable amp is about the worst thing you can do if you've got a bad TV
picture.

Amps boost noise along with the signal,and add noise of their own.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Feb 2007 06:06:35 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Noozer" wrote in
newsmcwh.834094$5R2.168564@pd7urf3no:

Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

In the TRASH.

If you have a crappy signal, call the cable company and tell them to
fix it.

You could have TOO MUCH signal and it will mess up your picture.

Most picture problems are not from the amount of signal, but are from
the amount of stray interference getting into the cable at bad crimps
and damaged cables.

Signal-to-noise ratio,very important.

and a bad/loose connector can GENERATE noise.(from corrosion)

A cable amp is about the worst thing you can do if you've got a bad TV
picture.

Amps boost noise along with the signal,and add noise of their own.

They do. That's why you need to put the amp where the signal is still
good. It there's no such point, then it's time to call the cable
company (they're not providing a decent signal).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Placement of Dimmer on 3-Way Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 October 11th 06 02:58 AM
Wiring placement? mgarvie Home Repair 5 August 16th 06 07:06 PM
Cable TV Amplifier Ray Home Repair 12 June 8th 05 03:07 AM
Mitsubishi Model VS-6017R Anode Cable Placement bannio Electronics Repair 1 March 4th 05 11:29 AM
Light placement a UK diy 2 November 28th 04 05:35 AM