Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Placement of Dimmer on 3-Way

Does it make a difference which of the 2 switches I replace with the
appropriate dimmer switch on a 3-Way light?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Jacobs" wrote in news:2AMWg.5371$Lv3.2997
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Does it make a difference which of the 2 switches I replace with the
appropriate dimmer switch on a 3-Way light?

Is it a three way dimmer? If not, then neither switch has to be replaced,
AFAIK......rather, you have to add the dimmer as an additional switch to
the circuit. The three way switches control the power going to the
lighting unit.....the dimmer will only be used for controlling the amount
of light level you wish the light unit to emit. Therefore, the dimmer is
added between the switches and the lighting unit.

BTW, if you add a non-three way dimmer switch to the circuit, there is
always the potential that the dimmer switch will be turned completely off,
in which case, the three way switching system becomes inoperative until the
dimmer switch is once again turn to it's on position. To circumvent this
eventuality, it probably would be just better to install just a dimmer unit
without any switching capabilities rather than a dimmer switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:43:42 GMT, "Jim Jacobs"
wrote:

Does it make a difference which of the 2 switches I replace with the
appropriate dimmer switch on a 3-Way light?

No.+
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just so it is in the location that you are most likely to want to dim the
lights. Seems obvious, but I told my builder I wanted my can lights on a
dimmer and he put the dimmer as the switch near the outside door. It would
be more convenient near the hallway door which is closer to the 'living
space', so I'm going to have to swap them.

"Jim Jacobs" wrote in message
ink.net...
Does it make a difference which of the 2 switches I replace with the
appropriate dimmer switch on a 3-Way light?

Blown Dimmer Switch [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 31st 06 10:42 PM
3-way dimmer and switch problems [email protected] Home Repair 6 March 2nd 06 02:06 PM
Dimmer question... Noozer Home Repair 10 September 1st 05 05:04 AM
new 3-way wall dimmer switch behaves "weirdly" dave Home Repair 3 August 5th 04 11:05 PM
low voltage dimmer question David Martin Home Ownership 6 January 24th 04 02:11 AM