Ray

Default Cable TV Amplifier

I'm running coaxial burried in conduit out to my workshop that is
approximately 180 feet from where the cable enters the house. I've been told
that I will need a signal amplifier.

Where does this amplifier hook up to ?? At the beginning of the run or can
it be installed at the end ?? Does this amplifier need to be plugged into
an outlet ?? If this needs to go at the beginning of the run and powered
up, how can I do this if the splitter is mounted to the fascia on the
outside of the house ??

Thanks,

Percival P. Cassidy

Makes sure you get good-quality coax. cable (RG-6, not RG-59), then try
it first without an amp. at all. You might be surprised.

Perce

On 06/04/05 09:30 pm Ray tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I'm running coaxial burried in conduit out to my workshop that is
approximately 180 feet from where the cable enters the house. I've been told
that I will need a signal amplifier.

Where does this amplifier hook up to ?? At the beginning of the run or can
it be installed at the end ?? Does this amplifier need to be plugged into
an outlet ?? If this needs to go at the beginning of the run and powered
up, how can I do this if the splitter is mounted to the fascia on the
outside of the house ??

Art Greenberg

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:30:13 -0500, Ray wrote:
I'm running coaxial burried in conduit out to my workshop that is
approximately 180 feet from where the cable enters the house. I've been
told that I will need a signal amplifier.

Where does this amplifier hook up to ??

In series with the coaxial cable to your workshop. It will have one input
connector and one output connector, and maybe a separate power supply
connector.

At the beginning of the run or can it be installed at the end ??

Either, but you'll probably get better results if you put it at the beginning
of the run.

Does this amplifier need to be plugged into an outlet ??

Yes. It will probably come with a "wall wart" power supply.

If this needs to go at the beginning of the run and powered up, how can I
do this if the splitter is mounted to the fascia on the outside of the
house ??

I don't know. For long cable runs to an antenna, there are amplifiers
available that mount at the antenna, and use the coax to feed power to it.
So the power supply would go in your workshop. Because the frequency range of
cable TV is different from off-the-air TV, I don't think one of those devices
would work for all of the channels on the cable. But there may be something
like that specifically for cable TV.

Be aware, if you have a set-top box, you may have to get a "two-way"
amplifier. Many set-top boxes, especially the newer models used with digital
cable, transmit a signal back to the cable company in order to track
pay-per-view purchases and so forth. If you don't install an amplifier that
passes that signal, your set-top box might not work correctly. If you're just
going to use a cable-ready TV, then that is not an issue.

I suggest trying the setup without an amplifier first, to see if you get
decent reception that way. Use a good-quality RG-6/U cable. If you find
you need an amplifier, it will be easy enough to add afterwards.

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse DOT net
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm running coaxial burried in conduit out to my workshop that is
approximately 180 feet from where the cable enters the house. I've been
told
that I will need a signal amplifier.

Have you called the cable company? Seriously, they may do this for cheap.
Regulations have changed over the years. I used to have all sorts of cable
and boosters in my house as you'd have to pay full price for each set 20+
years ago. Then I found they no longer charged for additional sets and
wired my up properly for something like $40. The phone call is cheap and
you may be pleasantly surprised.

Art Todesco

There are amps for cable frequencies. I tried to
use an older "antenna" amp on cable
and noticed snow on the mid 30 channels. A friend
pointed out that older amps were
not able to amplify with one wide frequency
amplifier, so they broke it up in VHF and
UHF internally in the amp. The mid 30 channels
are right between on-air channels
13 and 14. I replaced it with a modern broadband
amp (for cable) and it solved the
problem. BUT, as someone pointed out, try RG6
without an amp first.

Art Greenberg wrote:
[...]

Greg O

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm running coaxial burried in conduit out to my workshop that is
approximately 180 feet from where the cable enters the house. I've been
told
that I will need a signal amplifier.

Where does this amplifier hook up to ?? At the beginning of the run or
can
it be installed at the end ?? Does this amplifier need to be plugged into
an outlet ?? If this needs to go at the beginning of the run and powered
up, how can I do this if the splitter is mounted to the fascia on the
outside of the house ??

Thanks,

I doubt you will need an amplifier. Use good quality RG-6 cable and I bet it
will work fine.
My cable runs from the pole, then about 100 feet to the house, then splits,
then another 100 feet to the shop. I have a great signal in the shop.
Greg

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

U will need an inline amp. goto www.18inch.com and read up on matter. the
reason for the booster is u r already decreasinfg strength by splitting,
then running over 100' really saps the output.
this site is cool

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Greg O" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm running coaxial burried in conduit out to my workshop that is
approximately 180 feet from where the cable enters the house. I've been told
that I will need a signal amplifier.

Where does this amplifier hook up to ?? At the beginning of the run or can
it be installed at the end ?? Does this amplifier need to be plugged into
an outlet ?? If this needs to go at the beginning of the run and powered
up, how can I do this if the splitter is mounted to the fascia on the
outside of the house ??

Thanks,

This is Turtle.

like others have said, run good cable and try it. if worst comes to worst buy
you a 12db booster from walley world for about $16.00 and put it behind the TV.
If you splice into the cable where it comes into your house . You may need
nothing to make it look and play good.

TURTLE

And those $16 walley-world amps have a noise figure that is
astronomical.
I have had good luck with www.partsexpress.com for decent low-noise
amps.
180 feet is not that long a run, Put the amp on the end closest to the
source.
Use RG-6 or better.

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Art Greenberg ) said...

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:30:13 -0500, Ray wrote:
At the beginning of the run or can it be installed at the end ??

Either, but you'll probably get better results if you put it at the beginning
of the run.

It should always be at the beginning, unless it is absolutely not possible.

Good quality cable may result in not even needing an amplifier, but here
it the reason why it may be needed and why it shouuld go at the beginning
of the run:

The longer the cable run, the weaker the signal will be coming out the
other end. If the strength of the signal coming out the other end is too
weak, or even borderline, boosting it is likely to bring it up to a useable
level to get a good picture.

That would suggest that boosting it at either end is fine, however one
must consider noise. The cable, even though shielded, will pick up some
noise along its length. Amplyfing the signal at the end of the run will
amplify the noise along with the signal. Amplyifing at the beginning will
boose the signal you want so that at the end it will be a useable level
while leaving the noise unboosted.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Kathy

wrote in message
ps.com...
And those $16 walley-world amps have a noise

figure that is
astronomical.

When will you guys learn to STAY OUT OF
WALMART!!!!!!!!!