Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Cable Amplifier Placement

Maybe it's overkill, but I put a 1 In 1 Out amp before the first
splitter in the basement and 1 In 4 Out at the end of the 3 story run
into the attic. Reception at all TV's is fine, so I'm satisified.

On Jan 27, 5:29 pm, "DerbyDad03" wrote:
Whoops..too many 3's! I added a number 2 and forgot to keep updating
my number!

Thanks...I actually have a 1 In 4 Out splitter, so I'll try that in
the attic and see how things work. Thanks again.

On Jan 27, 4:39 pm, Randy Day wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Where's the best place to put a cable signal amplifier?

Here's what I have:

The incoming cable is split right after the cable modem tap with a
three way splitter. One of the lines off the three way goes from the
basement to the attic of a two story colonial where it is again split
with a three way spitter. This feeds 3 TV's on the second floor.

My main question is this: Is the problem with splitters/long runs just
an signal amplitude issue that an amp can fix either before or after
the degradation, or does the signal actually lose quality that even an
amp can't fix if placed after the splitter/long run?Your problem is too many splits, moreso than

the long run.

In your situation, an amp placed between the
splitters should correct your problem. Unless
you're talking about a run of hundreds of metres,
you should be able to put a 1 in 1 out amp at
either end of the run to the top floor.

Either Option 3, or your other option 3.

4 would work too, but I'm guessing it's $$$.

HTH

The answer to that question will help me determine the placement of an
amp if I want to boost the signal for the 3 TV's on the second floor.

1 - At the main cable before it is split in the basement (1 In - 1 Out
amp, then the 3 way)
2 - In place of the 3 way in the basement (1 In - 4 Out amp, no
splitter)
3 - At the beginning of the long run to the attic (After the 3 way,
then 1 In - 1 Out Amp)
3 - In the attic before the 3-way splitter (1 In - 1 Out Amp, then the
3 way)
4 - In place of the 3 way in the attic. (1 In - 4 Out amp, no
splitter)- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -