Posted to alt.home.repair
Jan Jan is offline

Default Ground Level Deck Question s

I would like to get some input on a deck that I am thinking about
building. First of all , I am a 64 yr old lady who will be building
this thing myself, if I go thru with it. I have limited skills, but
am sure I could build a box like deck. My question is, would it be
fesible to do it.

I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Any observations, pros and cons, would be appreciated...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Every deck needs a foundation, even if only concrete pads
under each corner to lift it off the damp ground. These are
sold by building suppliers, who can probably tell you how
many to use (probably 6 or 8, one at each corner and
one or two under the long edges.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get some input on a deck that I am thinking about
building. First of all , I am a 64 yr old lady who will be building
this thing myself, if I go thru with it. I have limited skills, but
am sure I could build a box like deck. My question is, would it be
fesible to do it.

I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Any observations, pros and cons, would be appreciated...

A deck made out of good, pressure treated lumber is probably going to last
longer than you will. I would keep it off the ground on some concrete post
holders (the blocks that look like pyramids with the top flat and grooves
for lumber) if possible.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan" wrote in message
I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Any observations, pros and cons, would be appreciated...

First step, ask yourself, "why a deck?". Perhaps a patio of concrete or
flagstone that never needs maintenance is better. The deck is a good hiding
place for rodents, while a patio is a nice solid mass.

If you still insist on a deck, mark off the area, get some concrete deck
supports and level them out. Then put down some screening inside the deck
frame that may lessen the chance of skunks or raccoons burrowing under for a
nest. Make the outer frame, then the inner supports etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jan Jan is offline

Wow, fast great answers,, thanks guys.. could someone tell me how tall
concrete deck supports are?
This thing needs to be almost ground level.

The reason I can't do a concrete or flagstone patio is no 1: money.
No 2 is I am going to have to do this myself and I think lifting bags
of concrete is beyond what I am able to do.

thanks again...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan" writes:

Wow, fast great answers,, thanks guys.. could someone tell me how tall
concrete deck supports are?
This thing needs to be almost ground level.

The reason I can't do a concrete or flagstone patio is no 1: money.
No 2 is I am going to have to do this myself and I think lifting bags
of concrete is beyond what I am able to do.

The concrete deck supports can be buried so only an inch or 2 is above
the surface.

You can use pavers for a patio.
You will be lifting bags of sand and crushed rock but if the delivery
is close to where you are going to build, that shouldn't
be too bad. The heaviest thing you will encounter in doing
a patio with pavers is the compactor. You will need help

I'm not sure about the cost, but I would have guessed a paver
patio is cheaper than a deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:54:13 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

"Jan" writes:

Wow, fast great answers,, thanks guys.. could someone tell me how tall
concrete deck supports are?
This thing needs to be almost ground level.

The reason I can't do a concrete or flagstone patio is no 1: money.
No 2 is I am going to have to do this myself and I think lifting bags
of concrete is beyond what I am able to do.

The concrete deck supports can be buried so only an inch or 2 is above
the surface.

You can use pavers for a patio.
You will be lifting bags of sand and crushed rock but if the delivery
is close to where you are going to build, that shouldn't
be too bad. The heaviest thing you will encounter in doing
a patio with pavers is the compactor. You will need help

I'm not sure about the cost, but I would have guessed a paver
patio is cheaper than a deck.

Neither one's as cheap as a lawn, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow, fast great answers,, thanks guys.. could someone tell me how tall
concrete deck supports are?
This thing needs to be almost ground level.

The blocks are about 12" high but you can dig a hole for each one so the top
is only a couple inches up.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 12:51 pm, "Jan" wrote:
I would like to get some input on a deck that I am thinking about
building. First of all , I am a 64 yr old lady who will be building
this thing myself, if I go thru with it. I have limited skills, but
am sure I could build a box like deck. My question is, would it be
fesible to do it.

I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Any observations, pros and cons, would be appreciated...

I would price out your deck material (pressure treated ) , and then
paving blocks.

If you used blocks about 2' square thats only 24 blocks.

You can lay them on a sand bed or even very fine gravel or just level
the dirt .

Those blocks are quite heavy but if you have a helper its certainly
doable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 27, 12:51 pm, "Jan" wrote:
[...]

Oh, hell yes. Almost anything is better than a ground level deck with
inaccessible dead spaces. It will rot at some point, and something will
take up residence in there. (crawly things, things with tails, flying yellow
things, etc.) If the paving stones frost-heave, you can just pry them up,
regrade, and put them back down. And nobody else mentioned it, so I will- if
you have any utility or waste line feeds under there, trapping them under a
deck will double the cost of any repairs to those.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

pavers way better and likely cheaper too.

plus if the entry door to the home is at the same level as the deck
water may enter during heavy rains..... causing floor rot.

all sorts of animals will move under your deck making it their new
home, chipmunks, rabbits, skunks, racoons etc.

price the pavers and also getting a handyman to install them,
installed pavers mght be cheaper than ground level deck