Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground Level Deck Question s

"Jan" wrote in message
I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Any observations, pros and cons, would be appreciated...

First step, ask yourself, "why a deck?". Perhaps a patio of concrete or
flagstone that never needs maintenance is better. The deck is a good hiding
place for rodents, while a patio is a nice solid mass.

If you still insist on a deck, mark off the area, get some concrete deck
supports and level them out. Then put down some screening inside the deck
frame that may lessen the chance of skunks or raccoons burrowing under for a
nest. Make the outer frame, then the inner supports etc.