Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Ground Level Deck Question s

"Jan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I want to build a 6' x 16' box like deck directly on the ground,,
(think of a pallet like structure only bigger). I feel like I can do
it, but am wondering about how long the wood would last placed
directly on the ground in Tennessee. I would hate to go to the
trouble of building this thing, just to have it rot in 5 yrs or so.

Every deck needs a foundation, even if only concrete pads
under each corner to lift it off the damp ground. These are
sold by building suppliers, who can probably tell you how
many to use (probably 6 or 8, one at each corner and
one or two under the long edges.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs