Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical wiring questions

I have an old house that I am fixing up before I move in. It has a 100-amp
circuit breaker main electric panel. It also has old wiring -- some knob
and tub, some next generation "cloth covered" wiring, etc. No modern NM or
"Romex". Right now, I am putting in all new wiring and receptacles in the
first floor that is above an unfinished basement -- so access to the
receptacles is easy. I know how to connect the circuits, what wires go to
what, etc.

Here's my question:

If I'm putting in receptacles in the living room and dining room, and
running the horizontal wiring along the basement ceiling, how is the wiring
to each receptacle typically run?

Option 1 for me would be to run the wire to a junction box on the ceiling
below each receptacle and then run wiring from each junction box to each
receptacle.

Option 2 would be to not use junction boxes on the basement ceiling under
each receptacle. Instead, run the wiring along the basement ceiling, then
up to a receptacle, then back down to the basement ceil and on to the next
receptacle, then up to that receptacle, then back down and on the next
receptacle, etc.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 8:21 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
[...]

Typically you would see option #2. Option #1 is OK to do but it is
more labor intensive and requires more parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Option 2 is the usual way. Fold the Romex over and smash the bend flat
(you are cutting it off anyway) Then you can poke it up into the hole
you drill in the sole plate. Don't put the old work box in the hole
you cut until you have found your wire. Make it up in the box and
shove it in the hole.

Thanks. I like the fold-the-romex idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric9822" wrote in message
oups.com...

Typically you would see option #2. Option #1 is OK to do but it is
more labor intensive and requires more parts.

Thanks. I read someplace that a good design is to use less junction boxes,
so I was thinking Option 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

photos may help:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...ures/index.htm
faq at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

On Jan 23, 11:21 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:21:13 -0500, "BETA-32"
wrote:

[...]

Another reason to use #2..if you ever finish your basement, all those
extra boxes can't be buried behind walls or ceilings, so you would
have to flush them with the walls or ceiling and use blank covers,
which is both a pain and unattractive.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Option #2 is preferred, however if it's to difficult, you could use just a
couple junction boxes in the basement, with multiple cables coming from each
to individual outlets above

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would use option #1 except only run one cable to the receptacle.
That way you don't overcrowd the tiny receptacle boxes. The older
receptacle boxes are often undersized and I try to keep the wiring in
them to a minimum. Keep in mind that the new receptacles that you put
in existing boxes will most likely be larger then the ones that you
take out. If you are removing 2 prong outlets and replacing them with
3 prong outlets than this is definately the case. That and it won't be
so hard to push the receptacle into the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I suppose I agree with the majority opinion of #2; though neither solution
is elegant.
Just beware that it is alot of wire. If you get into a potential voltage
drop situation, step up the wire size; use #12 for a 15a circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jan 2007 21:17:42 -0800, "Eric9822"
wrote:

On Jan 23, 8:21 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
[...]

The wiring in the house I'm in now looks more like option #1. Since I
don't have a basement, the junction box is above the ceiling (ceiling
light box).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a wonderin' what the purpose of folding it over is.

I think they were referring to the practice of folding over solid wire
in order to stuff it into the electrical boxes. An alternate would be
to use method #1 with stranded wire inside flex conduit for the runs
from the basement up to the receptacle. That would make it real easy
to push the receptacles into the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
news

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Not sure what you don't think isn't elegant about #2. All new construction
is wired that way except the run from outlet box to outlet box is through
the studs instead of down 2 feet into the floor space below and back up 2
feet into the wall.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 10:10 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
I'm a wonderin' what the purpose of folding it over is.

Daisy-chaining the romex from one outlet box to the next?

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. I'm a visualizing it now. Thanks!

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

wrote:
I'm a wonderin' what the purpose of folding it over is.

Daisy-chaining the romex from one outlet box to the next?

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message

Another reason to use #2..if you ever finish your basement, all those
extra boxes can't be buried behind walls or ceilings, so you would
have to flush them with the walls or ceiling and use blank covers,
which is both a pain and unattractive.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
news
I suppose I agree with the majority opinion of #2; though neither solution
is elegant.
Just beware that it is alot of wire. If you get into a potential voltage
drop situation, step up the wire size; use #12 for a 15a circuit.

After doing a lot of research, I ended up deciding to use 12/2 wiring
everywhere regardless of whether it's a 15-amp or 20-amp circuit. The
additional cost in materials isn't all that much and since I'm already doing
the work, there's no extra labor involved either way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:05:09 -0500, "BETA-32"
wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message
news
I suppose I agree with the majority opinion of #2; though neither solution
is elegant.
Just beware that it is alot of wire. If you get into a potential voltage
drop situation, step up the wire size; use #12 for a 15a circuit.

After doing a lot of research, I ended up deciding to use 12/2 wiring
everywhere regardless of whether it's a 15-amp or 20-amp circuit. The
additional cost in materials isn't all that much and since I'm already doing
the work, there's no extra labor involved either way.

14/2 fits in the backstab holes. I know someone who chose it for that
reason.