Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical wiring questions

On 23 Jan 2007 21:17:42 -0800, "Eric9822"
wrote:

On Jan 23, 8:21 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
I have an old house that I am fixing up before I move in. It has a 100-amp
circuit breaker main electric panel. It also has old wiring -- some knob
and tub, some next generation "cloth covered" wiring, etc. No modern NM or
"Romex". Right now, I am putting in all new wiring and receptacles in the
first floor that is above an unfinished basement -- so access to the
receptacles is easy. I know how to connect the circuits, what wires go to
what, etc.

Here's my question:

If I'm putting in receptacles in the living room and dining room, and
running the horizontal wiring along the basement ceiling, how is the wiring
to each receptacle typically run?

Option 1 for me would be to run the wire to a junction box on the ceiling
below each receptacle and then run wiring from each junction box to each
receptacle.

Option 2 would be to not use junction boxes on the basement ceiling under
each receptacle. Instead, run the wiring along the basement ceiling, then
up to a receptacle, then back down to the basement ceil and on to the next
receptacle, then up to that receptacle, then back down and on the next
receptacle, etc.

Thanks.

Typically you would see option #2. Option #1 is OK to do but it is
more labor intensive and requires more parts.

The wiring in the house I'm in now looks more like option #1. Since I
don't have a basement, the junction box is above the ceiling (ceiling
light box).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com