Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow makes motion sensor turn on

Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Does it have a sensitivity adjustment?
If so, adjust it.
If not, you could get one that does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Ryan" wrote in message
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Let's look at the facts here. You have a MOTION detector. The snow was
moving. The conclusion is . . . . . .

Next summer, we'll discuss high winds and tree branches with lots of leaves
on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

they are also much more sensitive in severe cold, like normally cars
driving down street no problem, at 20 degrees its lights on///////////

I finally removed my sensors put my lights on a photocell with timer.

at loeast its reliable and racoons dont set it off

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

My motion activated lights are reliable. They have a sensitiviy
adjustment and yours should also. I turn them off when I don't want
them on especially in the summer when they attract too many bugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

It sounds like you probably have the sensitivity adjustment too high. Turn
it down some, but be sure it'll still work, and see if that helps. Mine
turns on like that too if I turn the sensitivity all the way up. In fact,
even hard rain will turn it on. PUtting it back to a reasonable setting
though takes care of it all.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` wrote:
Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

It sounds like you probably have the sensitivity adjustment too high. Turn
it down some, but be sure it'll still work, and see if that helps. Mine
turns on like that too if I turn the sensitivity all the way up. In fact,
even hard rain will turn it on. PUtting it back to a reasonable setting
though takes care of it all.

Pop`

Agree that sensitivity adjustment should be checked. I've had similar
lights for many years and don't recall them routinely going on during
snow. Of course, it may also depend on the intensity of the snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Mine will trip when wind gusts blow a nearby arborvitae shrub.
Do you have something that may be blowing in the wind and tripping the
light?

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:31:19 -0600, Mike Ryan
wrote:

Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

imho:

My motion detectors get very sensitive in the cold whether. So I turn
down all the sensitivity settings. Also, I use outdoor fluorescent
light bulbs, so the electricity doen't cause me fret about them
popping on now and then.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Ryan" wrote in message
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

You might try reading your directions. All sorts of useful information in
there regarding setting the sensitivity controls, false triggering, reasons
for false triggering, etc. If you notice, they come in all price ranges and
features. But each one should function reasonably and not come on when a
moth or snowflake flies past.

HTH.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Felder" wrote in message
Do you have something that may be blowing in the wind and tripping the
light?

Could be ants. There is even a song about it . . . .

"The ants are my friend are blowing in the wind . . . . "

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:32:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mike Ryan" wrote in message
.. .
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Let's look at the facts here. You have a MOTION detector. The snow was
moving. The conclusion is . . . . . .

And the remedy is to stop the snow from moving.

Next summer, we'll discuss high winds and tree branches with lots of leaves
on them.

Oh, goody.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

My motion activated lights are reliable. They have a sensitiviy
adjustment and yours should also. I turn them off when I don't want
them on especially in the summer when they attract too many bugs.

it kinda depends on the area being monitored, I concluded that after
lots of expermintation and finally trashing my detector lights

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:31:20 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:32:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mike Ryan" wrote in message
. ..
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Let's look at the facts here. You have a MOTION detector. The snow was
moving. The conclusion is . . . . . .

And the remedy is to stop the snow from moving.

Any idea where I can buy a remote snow stopper? lol

Next summer, we'll discuss high winds and tree branches with lots of leaves
on them.

Oh, goody.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jan 2007 05:57:40 -0800, "cavedweller"
wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Does it have a sensitivity adjustment?
If so, adjust it.
If not, you could get one that does.

There are 2 adjustments. Distance and Time.
I know the time only affects how long it stays on.

I dont believe the distance one would be considered sensitivity, but I
will try changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Does it have a sensitivity adjustment?
If so, adjust it.
If not, you could get one that does.

There are 2 adjustments. Distance and Time.
I know the time only affects how long it stays on.

I dont believe the distance one would be considered sensitivity, but I
will try changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

Distance = sensitivity.

The snow may not be causing the light to come on. Motion detectors work by
detecting a change in heat, and since snow is the same temperature as the
air, or very nearly so, something else is causing the light to go on. Maybe
gusts of wind are picking up warm(er) air from near a window or door, or the
sensor can "see" across the street and it is picking up cars. As someone
else stated, motion sensors are much more sensitive in the winter than the
summer. In the summer it may appear that it is not working at all, if you
want to detect a person. (the body temperature being close to that of the
ambient air)

Keep in mind too, that motion sensors are most sensitive when the motion
they're looking for is -across- their field of view. If the motion is
towards or away from the detector, it isn't nearly as sensitive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Does it have a sensitivity adjustment?
If so, adjust it.
If not, you could get one that does.

There are 2 adjustments. Distance and Time.
I know the time only affects how long it stays on.

I dont believe the distance one would be considered sensitivity, but I
will try changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

I'm only familiar with the kind that have three controls, one of which
is sensitivity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

"Mike Ryan" wrote in message
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Let's look at the facts here. You have a MOTION detector. The snow was
moving. The conclusion is . . . . . .

And the remedy is to stop the snow from moving.

Any idea where I can buy a remote snow stopper? lol

X-10?

Next summer, we'll discuss high winds and tree branches with lots of leaves
on them.

Oh, goody.

When I received and read my previous post, both sentences sounded
sarcastic towards Edwin. Neither were meant to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
When I received and read my previous post, both sentences sounded
sarcastic towards Edwin. Neither were meant to be.

Nah, I got a chuckle out of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
Is it normal for falling snow to make a motion sensor turn the light
on, or do I just have a crappy sensor? It stayed on almost all night
from the falling snow until I finally shut it off completely. I just
bought and installed this unit a few weeks ago, so it's going back to
the store if it's just this particular brand or model. I bought this
thing to save electricity, not waste more.

Does it have a sensitivity adjustment?
If so, adjust it.
If not, you could get one that does.

There are 2 adjustments. Distance and Time.
I know the time only affects how long it stays on.

I dont believe the distance one would be considered sensitivity, but I
will try changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

I'm only familiar with the kind that have three controls, one of which
is sensitivity.

I've never seen one with three. What's the 3rd one called?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:25:05 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
[...]

It always worked good until last night. There are no cars, this is a
rural area and it's pointed into my back yard on my shed. Normally
the only time it went on was when I walked up to the shed, but a few
times I saw it go on from my cat or from wild animals. I know that's
normal, and I have the time set to only about one minute of on time.
Last night I could not sleep because it stayed on for hours until I
finally got dressed and went out into the cold to shut the darn thing
off. It was snowing heavily. I do agree they more sensitive in
winter. Last week we had severe cold and it did not come on at all
when I went to the shed to grab firewood. Thats the main reason for
this light, so I can see what I am doing when I go for firewood at
night. I also noticed that when it was extremely cold, that switching
the switch on and off quickly did NOT keep the thing lit like it's
supposed to do. I know it was ****ing me off because I was trying to
stack some wood and the light kept going off. I even thought at that
time that I may have to install the second light so it's just on a
switch so I can keep it turned on when I want it. The fixture is made
for TWO bulbs. I only have a bulb in one of them. I dont need two.
I dont see why I cant run a switched wire directly to the second one,
and disconnect it from the sensor. That "stay on" feature dont work
very well. But then I'm pretty much back to where I was in the first
place, I have to make an extra trip back to the shed to shut off the
light after all the firewood is hauled in the house. If I shut off the
light before I leave with the wood, I am likely to trip on something
and fall on my butt like I used to do before I installed the light.

I'm starting to think these lights are not as good as the advertising
for them. They are not very reliable....
Now that the snow stopped I cant really mess with the adjustment so
the snow dont activate it....
If it wasn't so darn far to dig, I think I'd just run extra wires to
the shed and put a 3 way switch in the house, and take this toy back
to the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Ryan wrote:
On 21 Jan 2007 14:04:38 -0800, "cavedweller"

changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

I'm only familiar with the kind that have three controls, one of which
is sensitivity.

I've never seen one with three. What's the 3rd one called?

Hmmm...trying to remember. One sets the amount of time the light is
on. One sets the ambient light level for operation. Guess the third one
is the "sensitivity"...but, as others have indicated, that may be a
distance-based adjustment. The units I'm thinking of are up at the
cottage...about 300 miles away.

I know there's one there that is "tender" when the wind blows because
there's a large plant below it and a flag on the corner of the house.
I haven't chosen to go up the ladder and fiddle with it. I just turn
it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 22 Jan 2007 04:43:15 -0800, "cavedweller"
wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
On 21 Jan 2007 14:04:38 -0800, "cavedweller"

changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

I'm only familiar with the kind that have three controls, one of which
is sensitivity.

I've never seen one with three. What's the 3rd one called?

Hmmm...trying to remember. One sets the amount of time the light is
on. One sets the ambient light level for operation. Guess the third one
is the "sensitivity"...but, as others have indicated, that may be a
distance-based adjustment. The units I'm thinking of are up at the
cottage...about 300 miles away.

They must be very sensitive.

Mine is only good for about 15 feet.

I know there's one there that is "tender" when the wind blows because
there's a large plant below it and a flag on the corner of the house.
I haven't chosen to go up the ladder and fiddle with it. I just turn
it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:50:29 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

WHAT?! Read the manual that came with a device??

You're right. That's not a good idea. Most manauls are written by
communists or islamo-fascists.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Ryan wrote:
On 21 Jan 2007 14:04:38 -0800, "cavedweller"

changing it. The manual is not very useful or detailed.

I'm only familiar with the kind that have three controls, one of which
is sensitivity.

I've never seen one with three. What's the 3rd one called?

Hmmm...trying to remember. One sets the amount of time the light is
on. One sets the ambient light level for operation. Guess the third one
is the "sensitivity"...but, as others have indicated, that may be a
distance-based adjustment. The units I'm thinking of are up at the
cottage...about 300 miles away.

They must be very sensitive.

Mine is only good for about 15 feet.

So when I see a glow on the horizon from here, I know I'm not there....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Ryan" wrote in message
I'm starting to think these lights are not as good as the advertising
for them. They are not very reliable....

Even those used in banks fail so it is possible this one's time is up & just
needs to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Pigspen70 wrote:
.. Ed ~ I LIKE Your answer ~ it is Accurate, Makes Sense, And to the point.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-187199-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Mike Ryan:
It always worked good until last night. There are no cars, this is a
rural area and it's pointed into my back yard on my shed.

How is it acting now that the snow has stopped?

I've been through several that keep coming on once temperatures drop
beyond a certain point..... i.e. they work during summer months, but
tend to stay on during winter.

Spent the big bucks on replacement sensors of a different brand (and
type?), but still having the problem.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:10:11 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Mine continually 'detect' motion ever since the popwer company installed
the new power meter close by.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:10:11 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Mike Ryan:
It always worked good until last night. There are no cars, this is a
rural area and it's pointed into my back yard on my shed.

How is it acting now that the snow has stopped?

I've been through several that keep coming on once temperatures drop
beyond a certain point..... i.e. they work during summer months, but
tend to stay on during winter.

Spent the big bucks on replacement sensors of a different brand (and
type?), but still having the problem.

The OP may have solved the problem -- a decade ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 04:44:02 GMT, Pigspen70 m wrote:

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Pigspen70 wrote:
. Ed ~ I LIKE Your answer ~ it is Accurate, Makes Sense, And to the point.

It sure did -- a decade ago. Sheesh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 1:10:20 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Mike Ryan:
It always worked good until last night. There are no cars, this is a
rural area and it's pointed into my back yard on my shed.

How is it acting now that the snow has stopped?

I sure hope it hasn't been snowing for 10 straight years.

I spent some time in Alaaka, not too far from the Artic Circle. Even we had summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 12:30:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 1:10:20 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Mike Ryan:
It always worked good until last night. There are no cars, this is a
rural area and it's pointed into my back yard on my shed.

How is it acting now that the snow has stopped?

I sure hope it hasn't been snowing for 10 straight years.

I spent some time in Alaaka, not too far from the Artic Circle. Even we had summer.

When I lived in the Adirondack Mountains summer was on the 4th of
July.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:ugk9bch6s3v7tkohl0k65oub6f3g33gf0q@
4ax.com:

When I lived in the Adirondack Mountains summer was on the 4th of
July.

But that was just during the hotest part of the day. Not the whole day,
right?