Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No clean cuts on kitchen granite?

No matter how high end the kitchens are, I've not seen a clean on site cut
on a kitchen granite top yet including the ones in the granite showrooms. If
you look at the mating edges where two granite slabs are butted together,
you will see a gap of about 1/16" and the cut on the granite surface with
thousands of small micro chips down the cut. In contrast, the factory cuts
are so smooth and nearly invisible.

So why can't the best pros do a clean cut in the field? Could it be done in
the field?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"# Fred #" wrote in message

So why can't the best pros do a clean cut in the field? Could it be done
in the field?

Equipment. The best is not portable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"# Fred #" wrote in message

So why can't the best pros do a clean cut in the field? Could it be done
in the field?

Equipment. The best is not portable.

What equipment would that be then, diamond blade, high pressure water or
something else?

I did some test cuts on my sliding miter 10" wet saw with a good MK diamond
blade and it chips just as badly as the pros.

Since measurements and templates are taken of the kitchen counter beforehand
why, for the life of me, don't they pre cut it at the warehouse or factory?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"# Fred #" wrote in message

So why can't the best pros do a clean cut in the field? Could it be done
in the field?

Equipment. The best is not portable.

What equipment would that be then, diamond blade, high pressure water or
something else?

I did some test cuts on my sliding miter 10" wet saw with a good MK diamond
blade and it chips just as badly as the pros.

Since measurements and templates are taken of the kitchen counter beforehand
why, for the life of me, don't they pre cut it at the warehouse or
factory?

FWIW, the folks who installed my granite didn't cut anything but the
small hole for the faucet on site. I'd visited their fabrication
facility and they had a lot of really big and loud saws, and a ton of
floorspace. The location was actually an old civil war canon ball
factory, of all things.

Then again, I didn't get the full benefit of these guys as my
countertop layout was just right to get done in just under a full slab
worth and didn't need any seams.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"# Fred #" wrote in message
. ..
No matter how high end the kitchens are, I've not seen a clean on site cut
on a kitchen granite top yet including the ones in the granite showrooms.
If you look at the mating edges where two granite slabs are butted
together, you will see a gap of about 1/16" and the cut on the granite
surface with thousands of small micro chips down the cut. In contrast, the
factory cuts are so smooth and nearly invisible.

So why can't the best pros do a clean cut in the field? Could it be done
in the field?

I have all clean cuts on my kitchen counters, But as mentioned it was all
prefabricated at the shop. The installer said there is a lot of hacks out
there they cut it in their garage with hand tool ( circular saws with
diamond blades) People have told there granite was cut right in the
driveway. It's like anything do your home work especially on finding an
installer. I went threw a big shop show room there own installers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ANSWERS BELOW

"# Fred #" wrote in message
. ..
| No matter how high end the kitchens are, I've not seen a clean on site
cut
| on a kitchen granite top yet including the ones in the granite
showrooms. If
| you look at the mating edges where two granite slabs are butted
together,
| you will see a gap of about 1/16" and the cut on the granite surface
with
| thousands of small micro chips down the cut. In contrast, the factory
cuts
| are so smooth and nearly invisible.

the 1/16" gap is for the epoxy.
seems when color matched with the granite are virtually invisible.
the trick is to use different colors from the granite and mix into the
epoxy (NOT clear silicone)
then scraped with a new razor blabe, flush with granite top.
then polished.

otherwise it is done WRONG.

| So why can't the best pros do a clean cut in the field?

who says we can't?
you......................hahahahahahaha

Could it be done in the field?

yes it can