Posted to alt.home.repair

Default change two sink vanity top to single bowl

Right now I have a 60" double bowl vanity in my bathroom. I hate it
because the sinks take up all the surface area and there is no counter
space to put my stuff. I want to change it to a single bowl vanity for
as cheaply as possible.

Could I change the top and simply redirect the pipes on one side to the
center using some additional pipes and u-joints and then cap off the
other side or would I have to have a plumber move the pipes inside the
wall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

angelasg wrote:

Right now I have a 60" double bowl vanity in my bathroom. I hate it
because the sinks take up all the surface area and there is no counter
space to put my stuff. I want to change it to a single bowl vanity for
as cheaply as possible.

Could I change the top and simply redirect the pipes on one side to the
center using some additional pipes and u-joints and then cap off the
other side or would I have to have a plumber move the pipes inside the
wall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Angela

You can probably do it. Take some photos under there
or make a damned good sketch. Run over to the BigBox
or a good hardware store and ask for opinions based
on what is there now.

There are a number of variables which will make it
difficult for this to be answered with any accuracy on
a forum like this.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"angelasg" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Right now I have a 60" double bowl vanity in my bathroom. I hate it
| because the sinks take up all the surface area and there is no counter
| space to put my stuff. I want to change it to a single bowl vanity
for
| as cheaply as possible.
|
| Could I change the top and simply redirect the pipes on one side to
the
| center using some additional pipes and u-joints and then cap off the
| other side or would I have to have a plumber move the pipes inside the
| wall?
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
| Angela

yes it can be done
even if you have a drawer base in the middle of the vanity.
of course you will lose the top drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the sagacious dolt wrote:
"angelasg" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Right now I have a 60" double bowl vanity in my bathroom. I hate it
| because the sinks take up all the surface area and there is no counter
| space to put my stuff. I want to change it to a single bowl vanity
for
| as cheaply as possible.
|
| Could I change the top and simply redirect the pipes on one side to
the
| center using some additional pipes and u-joints and then cap off the
| other side or would I have to have a plumber move the pipes inside the
| wall?
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
| Angela

yes it can be done
even if you have a drawer base in the middle of the vanity.
of course you will lose the top drawer.

It would seem very likely you can go to a single bowl and make the
plumbing connection without changing anything in the wall. Probably
don't need to cap off anything either. Just figure out what you need
to go from the drain pipe in the wall to the new single bowl location.

But, on another note, have you considered other alternatives, like
adding a shelf or similar nearby? For resale value, people today like
baths with 2 sinks. And I would think going from 2 bowl to 1 bowl is
going to impact resale negatively, even if the 2 bowls are on a
relatively small vanity. Buyers will notice 1 vs 2 long before they
figure out any problems with counter top space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice. I realize that, but I plan to be here for a
while. I'd rather have what's comfortable for me and then spend money
again when it's time to sell to put the two bowls back rather than have
to deal with the lack of counter space.

wrote:
But, on another note, have you considered other alternatives, like
adding a shelf or similar nearby? For resale value, people today like
baths with 2 sinks. And I would think going from 2 bowl to 1 bowl is
going to impact resale negatively, even if the 2 bowls are on a
relatively small vanity. Buyers will notice 1 vs 2 long before they
figure out any problems with counter top space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, angelasg
says...

wrote:
But, on another note, have you considered other alternatives, like
adding a shelf or similar nearby? For resale value, people today like
baths with 2 sinks. And I would think going from 2 bowl to 1 bowl is
going to impact resale negatively, even if the 2 bowls are on a
relatively small vanity. Buyers will notice 1 vs 2 long before they
figure out any problems with counter top space.

Hear hear. Houses are for the living.

If, when the time finally comes to sell, the market is slow, putting in two
bowls is not that big a deal. But, by then, the home-and-garden shows will
probably be touting some other feature, and folks won't care. (Maybe a separate
bathroom for each will become deriguer.)

Don't fix your house up for other people. Especially other people in some other
time.

Banty

Wood vanity top? [email protected] Woodworking 6 August 3rd 06 06:11 PM
Bathroom vanity with bowl sinks mrsgator88 Home Repair 3 April 5th 06 04:01 PM
vanity sink install SeaKan Home Repair 0 March 19th 06 03:28 AM
Replacing undermount sink on vanity Jerry Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 08:51 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM