Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Money.. What a concept!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Best pipes to survive freezing?

ITMFA wrote:
which pipe can best survive a freeze.
plastic, copper or steel?

The worst is pvc. It doesn't just split, it shatters for 6-8 ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ITMFA wrote:
which pipe can best survive a freeze.
plastic, copper or steel?

--

Money.. What a concept!

I live in SoCal, so I'm not speaking from experience, but copper will
stretch much more than the different plastics and iron (almost all
"steel" plumbing pipe is really iron, not steel). When it does rupture,
it will be less catastrophic and a less drastic leak than plastic or
iron. Help yourself by insulating it well.-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I live in SoCal, so I'm not speaking from experience, but copper will
stretch much more than the different plastics

Except for PEX. It will take much more than copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ITMFA wrote:
which pipe can best survive a freeze.
plastic, copper or steel?

Besides the other points made, also depends heavily on wall thickness
-- all are made in varying "schedules" -- copper "L" and/or "M", for
example, Sch 30/40 as examples for pvc and/or galvanized/black iron...

What's the application and/or reason for the question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:41:04 -0800, ITMFA wrote:

which pipe can best survive a freeze.
plastic, copper or steel?

There has been a lot of real-world testing out here on the frigid, flat,
frozen, windy, treeless tundra of Western Alaska.

The answer is PEX.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Karl S wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:41:04 -0800, ITMFA wrote:

which pipe can best survive a freeze.
plastic, copper or steel?

There has been a lot of real-world testing out here on the frigid, flat,
frozen, windy, treeless tundra of Western Alaska.

The answer is PEX.

Agree, who better to answer than an Alaskan.
But yes copper does stretch, right apart, just
like iron pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Jan 2007 07:32:14 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

:
:ITMFA wrote:
: which pipe can best survive a freeze.
: plastic, copper or steel?
:
:Besides the other points made, also depends heavily on wall thickness
:-- all are made in varying "schedules" -- copper "L" and/or "M", for
:example, Sch 30/40 as examples for pvc and/or galvanized/black iron...
:
:What's the application and/or reason for the question?
So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

:ITMFA wrote:
: which pipe can best survive a freeze.
: plastic, copper or steel?
:
:Besides the other points made, also depends heavily on wall thickness
:-- all are made in varying "schedules" -- copper "L" and/or "M", for
:example, Sch 30/40 as examples for pvc and/or galvanized/black iron...
:
:What's the application and/or reason for the question?
So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?

In order of _decreasing_ wall thickness, copper is K, L, M ...so M (of
a given diameter) is most likely to burst first, K withstand the most

Posted to alt.home.repair

:ITMFA wrote:
: which pipe can best survive a freeze.
: plastic, copper or steel?
:
:Besides the other points made, also depends heavily on wall thickness
:-- all are made in varying "schedules" -- copper "L" and/or "M", for
:example, Sch 30/40 as examples for pvc and/or galvanized/black iron...
:
:What's the application and/or reason for the question?
So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?

In order of _decreasing_ wall thickness, copper is K, L, M ...so M (of
a given diameter) is most likely to burst first, K withstand the most

That is what one would expect based on the
strength of the pipe. However, I suggest a test
by filling 12" lengths with water capping both
ends (no airspace) and then setting them outside
at night for 8 hours in 15 degree weather. If
that is too cold for you then set them outside
when the temperature is 25 degrees. I would
expect that if one pipe breaks then all pipes will
break. You could throw in an iron pipe and see
how that fares.

OTOH, there are lots of variable that could be
expected, so one has to be very precise about the
freezing temperature and length of period to
predict anything meaningful.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

George E. Cawthon wrote:

:ITMFA wrote:
: which pipe can best survive a freeze.
: plastic, copper or steel?
:
:Besides the other points made, also depends heavily on wall thickness
:-- all are made in varying "schedules" -- copper "L" and/or "M", for
:example, Sch 30/40 as examples for pvc and/or galvanized/black iron...
:
:What's the application and/or reason for the question?
So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?

In order of _decreasing_ wall thickness, copper is K, L, M ...so M (of
a given diameter) is most likely to burst first, K withstand the most

That is what one would expect based on the
strength of the pipe. ...I would
expect that if one pipe breaks then all pipes will
break. ...

If you'll read the post, all that was compared was the expected
_relative_ likelihood which is the question asked and there's no doubt
at all that thicker-walled tubing/pipe of any type will be more
resistant than thinner walled which, again, was the only point being
addressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:

So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?

In order of _decreasing_ wall thickness, copper is K, L, M ...so M (of
a given diameter) is most likely to burst first, K withstand the most

That is what one would expect based on the
strength of the pipe. However, I suggest a test
by filling 12" lengths with water capping both
ends (no airspace) and then setting them outside
at night for 8 hours in 15 degree weather. If
that is too cold for you then set them outside
when the temperature is 25 degrees. ...

The volume expansion owing to the phase change to ice from water occurs
at the freezing point so the atmospheric temperature doesn't make any
difference on that score. Once solid ice is formed, the thermal
coefficient of expansion is positive so as it is cooled further it
actually would contract slightly. (In fact, it's about three times
that of copper ~51E-6 vs 17E-6 in/in/C) so would actually reduce the
pressure on the pipe wall as the temperature were lowered as it would
contract more rapidly than the copper pipe itself).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

:ITMFA wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately "survive a freeze" is rather
ambiguous. Does the OP mean air temp drop below
32 or does he mean that the all of water in the
pipes actually freezes. If the latter, then one
would expect little difference relative to wall
thickness. In the real world where pipe
temperatures are such that all of the water
doesn't freeze, the shape of the pipe, the
orientation, joints, the wall thickness, etc. make
a difference. Possibly number of joints, types of
joints, and smoothness of the joints is more
important than the wall thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:

[...]

You seem to just want to argue. No one cares
about this stuff. We are talking about the real
world experience where the weather gets colder
(atmospheric temperature drops), and I would
assume the pipes are in a house.

The point of specifying a time and a temperature
was to make sure that the water actually freezes.
So if you like, just put the pipes in a freezer
and you won't have to worry about the effect of
the atmosphere.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

:ITMFA wrote:
[...]

"In the real world" it's highly unlikely the OP would be asking about
other than a condition where sufficient water freezes that a portion of
the pipe is solid so that, for all practical purposes, the entire pipe
may as well frozen.

Again, whether it actually causes a pipe burst in a real plumbing
orientation in a house, for example, has a tremendous amount to do with
length between joints, hot or cold supply line, etc., etc., etc.,
granted. That's why I asked OP quite some time earlier for the
motivation behind the question in the first place.

Again, all I pointed out was that for comparative purposes, a K or M
copper pipe is much more robust to freezing than an L pipe of the same
diameter, length, orientation and so on. That is still true and is
also just as true for Sch 40 vis a vis Sch 30 pvc or galvanized. No
more has been claimed, but no less, either...

As a practical "real world" thing, I don't recall ever having had a
break of an "M" piece of piping, but several in "L". That's not to say
"M" won't burst when frozen and I have never said such a thing and I'm
sure there are many instances where it has. But, I can certainly state
that one disadvantage in using "L" for the initial cost savings is that
it will certainly be far more susceptible to a break from freezing than
will "M" -- again, in the same configuration/environment. That it
would be guaranteed to hold, no; I'm not nor have I claimed that--only
that odds are are significantly improved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:

[...]

No, you are the one that seems to want to argue -- all I said was that
thicker walled pipe is more substantial than thinner and you started
the argument of trying (it seemed to me) of reading far more into that
than what I said -- If not, fine, let's let it drop. I do have a
penchant for not wanting what I post distorted nor taken from context,
however.

But, as I noted elsewhere, we can assume all we want about OP's actual
purpose in asking the question but we don't know -- I asked earlier and
didn't get it answered so still don't know.

Preventing Freezing Laundry Pipes [email protected] Home Repair 12 February 6th 07 04:44 PM
Help needed with central heating / freezing pipes Haymish UK diy 6 November 19th 05 02:31 PM
Freezing pipes ******************************************************* Rettgerinc Metalworking 25 January 4th 05 02:59 AM
freezing pipes... Phants Metalworking 8 January 2nd 05 03:30 AM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM