Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Best pipes to survive freezing?

dpb wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 07:32:14 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

:
:ITMFA wrote:
: which pipe can best survive a freeze.
: plastic, copper or steel?
:
:Besides the other points made, also depends heavily on wall thickness
:-- all are made in varying "schedules" -- copper "L" and/or "M", for
:example, Sch 30/40 as examples for pvc and/or galvanized/black iron...
:
:What's the application and/or reason for the question?
So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?

In order of _decreasing_ wall thickness, copper is K, L, M ...so M (of
a given diameter) is most likely to burst first, K withstand the most

That is what one would expect based on the
strength of the pipe. However, I suggest a test
by filling 12" lengths with water capping both
ends (no airspace) and then setting them outside
at night for 8 hours in 15 degree weather. If
that is too cold for you then set them outside
when the temperature is 25 degrees. I would
expect that if one pipe breaks then all pipes will
break. You could throw in an iron pipe and see
how that fares.

OTOH, there are lots of variable that could be
expected, so one has to be very precise about the
freezing temperature and length of period to
predict anything meaningful.