Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Best pipes to survive freezing?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
dpb wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:

So, what will withstand freezing better? L copper or M copper?
In order of _decreasing_ wall thickness, copper is K, L, M ...so M (of
a given diameter) is most likely to burst first, K withstand the most

That is what one would expect based on the
strength of the pipe. However, I suggest a test
by filling 12" lengths with water capping both
ends (no airspace) and then setting them outside
at night for 8 hours in 15 degree weather. If
that is too cold for you then set them outside
when the temperature is 25 degrees. ...

The volume expansion owing to the phase change to ice from water occurs
at the freezing point so the atmospheric temperature doesn't make any
difference on that score. Once solid ice is formed, the thermal
coefficient of expansion is positive so as it is cooled further it
actually would contract slightly. (In fact, it's about three times
that of copper ~51E-6 vs 17E-6 in/in/C) so would actually reduce the
pressure on the pipe wall as the temperature were lowered as it would
contract more rapidly than the copper pipe itself).

You seem to just want to argue. No one cares
about this stuff. We are talking about the real
world experience where the weather gets colder
(atmospheric temperature drops), and I would
assume the pipes are in a house.

No, you are the one that seems to want to argue -- all I said was that
thicker walled pipe is more substantial than thinner and you started
the argument of trying (it seemed to me) of reading far more into that
than what I said -- If not, fine, let's let it drop. I do have a
penchant for not wanting what I post distorted nor taken from context,
however.

But, as I noted elsewhere, we can assume all we want about OP's actual
purpose in asking the question but we don't know -- I asked earlier and
didn't get it answered so still don't know.