Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I pay

Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile
came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto someone
or something or the following question would be slightly different!!
The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad
workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact
and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile
came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto someone
or something or the following question would be slightly different!!
The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad
workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact
and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!

How long was the warranty on the job? If the warranty is over, he has no
obligation to make the repair although it might be good business sense to do
so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

IMHO, after two years, any manor of "acts of nature" could have affected the
integrity of the roof. I would contact the installer, politely ask him how
he would be willing to deal with it

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile
came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto someone
or something or the following question would be slightly different!!
The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad
workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact
and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tiles on roofs I have repaired have nail holes and are nailed to last
hundreds of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.
To let you know, I paid the builder to put the tile back up.
However, as pointed out, there are a lot of factors here and points to
learn....
I wasn`t sure of my warranty and obviously now was too late to be
talking about that!
In future, I`ll always ask for warranties on work done or moreover,
before work starts!
The builder should, in my opinion, have repaired it for nothing (what
ever the factors that caused the tile to fall off...two years seems to
short a life to me!).
Sadly for the builder, I wil no longer be recommending him. So
basically, the cost of replacing the tile has cost him his reputation
in our eyes....completely different builder to the one that did the
job in the first place.

Now, if the tile had hit one of my children ,we`d be talking in a
diffferent language....or at least the police/local authorities would
be talking to him..............

Tom The Great wrote:
On 12 Jan 2007 01:32:43 -0800, wrote:

Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile
came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto someone
or something or the following question would be slightly different!!
The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad
workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact
and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!

IMHO, Depends....

Do you have a warranty? In writing? Is it possible that in 2 years
that wind, sun, rain, could have caused the tile to fail prematurely?
Have you had people walking on your roof? Hail? etc, etc, etc.

Just pointing out, many factures are at play here, to narrow down the
builder is at fault.

Just a suggestion, call the builder explain the problem, and ask how
you should proceed. Sometimes a tradesperson will be very friendly to
preserve their rep, and maybe hope in return a good word of mouth
advertisement.

Good luck with what you do, please keep us informed.

tom @
www.Texas-VOIP.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If you bought a used car that had new brakes put on it two years ago and
you did not get a written warranty and if you had a accident yesterday
because of a brake failure, you would not be able to go back the the
mechanic unless you could prove they did something outrageous.

Tom The Great wrote:

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
Tiles on roofs I have repaired have nail holes and are nailed to last
hundreds of years.

Here in FL they take about 10 minutes to rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mmm.....similar senario....
I guess bad workmanship is hard to point a finger at...unless solid
proof is found.
Oh yes, you picked another industry full of cowboys too...mechanics!!
Before I get flamed, there are all so good ones but its the ones that
provide decent aftercare that are in the rarity!!

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Tom The Great wrote:
On 12 Jan 2007 01:32:43 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi. About two years after our extension was built, the end roof tile
| came off and slid onto the roof...thank god it did`nt fall onto
someone
| or something or the following question would be slightly different!!
| The question is, should my original builder fix it for nowt (bad
| workmanship etc...) or will I need to pay? The original tile is intact
| and just needs PROPERLY cementing on ...10 min job!!

in the UK
who gives a tile flying Fu(k

walk on home boy.............................."Pantera"