Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot tile heater

The last time I was at Home Depot I saw an electric tile heater in the
flooring section. It looks like you place a wire under the tile before you
lay it down. The box also come with a little thermostat box to control it.
My small bathroom has no heater in there now so this looks like the way to
go. Has anyone tried it out? I would like to know before I spend the money.

Miker

Posted to alt.home.repair

miker wrote:

The last time I was at Home Depot I saw an electric tile heater in the
flooring section. It looks like you place a wire under the tile before you
lay it down. The box also come with a little thermostat box to control it.
My small bathroom has no heater in there now so this looks like the way to
go. Has anyone tried it out? I would like to know before I spend the money.

Miker

Those are for foot comfort heating, not space heating. They work well
for your feet as long as the room overall has some other source of heat.
If you try to use them to heat an otherwise unheated room they will
pretty much run all the time, not get the room to a comfortable
temperature and cost a small fortune in electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Mike,

I installed electric, in-floor radiant heating in my front hallway,
den and ensuite bathroom and it's one of the most comfortable and
flexible heating systems I know. The floors in these areas are slate
and in the dead of winter they can be pretty darn cold without this
supplemental heating.

The mats I selected are made by this company:
http://www.suntouch.net/

This is a picture of the accompanying thermostat control:
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/2928...heating-04.php

A minor quibble, but these thermostats make a clearly audible "snap"
when they cycle on and off. I believe they have been replaced by an
updated model that perhaps addresses this problem; if this could be a
concern, you may want to check this out before you buy.

For a bathroom, you might also consider a programmable version so that
it turns on a few hours before you get up and automatically shuts off
when you're done. Convenient and over the long haul it will save you
money.

I believe their rated heat output is 12-watts per sq. ft., so a 2.5 by
5 ft. mat large enough to serve most bathrooms would draw just
150-watts. If you pay $0.10 per kWh and this mat operates an average
of 4 hours per day, your cost-of-use is 6 cents per day (less if you
subtract the cost of any heat it in turn displaces).

In my opinion, they're well worth it.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:06:06 GMT, "miker"
wrote:

The last time I was at Home Depot I saw an electric tile heater in the
flooring section. It looks like you place a wire under the tile before you
lay it down. The box also come with a little thermostat box to control it.
My small bathroom has no heater in there now so this looks like the way to
go. Has anyone tried it out? I would like to know before I spend the money.

Miker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
miker wrote:

The last time I was at Home Depot I saw an electric tile heater in
the flooring section. It looks like you place a wire under the tile
before you lay it down. The box also come with a little thermostat
box to control it. My small bathroom has no heater in there now so
this looks like the way to go. Has anyone tried it out? I would like
to know before I spend the money.

Miker

Those are for foot comfort heating, not space heating. They work well
for your feet as long as the room overall has some other source of
heat. If you try to use them to heat an otherwise unheated room they
will pretty much run all the time, not get the room to a comfortable
temperature and cost a small fortune in electricity.

Well that does depend. They will do a lot to heat the room, but you
need enough energy going in to do the job. Assuming that one low wattage
(it may not seem low to the user, but it takes a lot of watts to heat a
room) is going to heat an otherwise cold room, would be expecting too much.

They feel really good on the feet.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

home depot SeaKan Home Repair 19 August 5th 06 03:23 PM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
Where's Home Depot J T Woodworking 57 February 5th 05 06:54 PM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM
Looking for damage on water heater drop twice. 40G GE GAS 21"x63" 9-year warrantee Home Depot Leroy Mowry Home Ownership 6 November 29th 04 07:02 AM