Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Home Depot tile heater

Hi Mike,

I installed electric, in-floor radiant heating in my front hallway,
den and ensuite bathroom and it's one of the most comfortable and
flexible heating systems I know. The floors in these areas are slate
and in the dead of winter they can be pretty darn cold without this
supplemental heating.

The mats I selected are made by this company:
http://www.suntouch.net/

This is a picture of the accompanying thermostat control:
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/2928...heating-04.php

A minor quibble, but these thermostats make a clearly audible "snap"
when they cycle on and off. I believe they have been replaced by an
updated model that perhaps addresses this problem; if this could be a
concern, you may want to check this out before you buy.

For a bathroom, you might also consider a programmable version so that
it turns on a few hours before you get up and automatically shuts off
when you're done. Convenient and over the long haul it will save you
money.

I believe their rated heat output is 12-watts per sq. ft., so a 2.5 by
5 ft. mat large enough to serve most bathrooms would draw just
150-watts. If you pay $0.10 per kWh and this mat operates an average
of 4 hours per day, your cost-of-use is 6 cents per day (less if you
subtract the cost of any heat it in turn displaces).

In my opinion, they're well worth it.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:06:06 GMT, "miker"
wrote:

The last time I was at Home Depot I saw an electric tile heater in the
flooring section. It looks like you place a wire under the tile before you
lay it down. The box also come with a little thermostat box to control it.
My small bathroom has no heater in there now so this looks like the way to
go. Has anyone tried it out? I would like to know before I spend the money.

Miker