Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saving Old Bathtub

Hello ... I tried searching through the forum to see if this topic had
already been covered -- my apologies in advance if it has -- but I
didn't find the answer to my question.

I am planning to remodel the guest bathroom in my house, which has an
cast iron bathtub that is approximately 30 years old. The bathtub is
in good shape, so I am hoping to just be able to have the area above
the tub retiled and the shower doors replaced with new frameless ones.

When my contractor was here yesterday, he pointed out that the old
adhesive from the old shower doors might leave stains (I can see some
brown staining around the old adhesive on the doors now) and that when
he removes the old tiles and Durock (like sheetrock) and replaces it
that it probably won't line up exactly with the old along the edge of
the tub and that there will likely be some discoloration exposed there.

Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues before? To me, it just
seems wasteful to take a perfectly good tub and throw it away -- but
then, we don't want to invest all this money in a bathroom remodel and
have a tub that looks bad around the edges.

On this forum, I did see an advertisement posting for a product called
Bath Brite (http://www.superjetco.com/BathBrite.html) which I am
curious about. Has anyone had any success with this product, or with
any others? I guess I could always give it a try once the doors and
walls are removed, and see if it cleans everything up .... but if it
doesn't, then I will need to order a bathtub and put a halt on my
project for a few weeks until I get the tub out and the new tub in.

Thank you in advance for any help, tips or suggestions you might have.

-Cathy Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cathy jean" writes:

Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues before? To me, it just
seems wasteful to take a perfectly good tub and throw it away -- but
then, we don't want to invest all this money in a bathroom remodel and
have a tub that looks bad around the edges.

I agree 100%

Bathtubs are routinely refinished. Look em up in your local yellow
pages. The folks I used also did tile refinishing which you might
consider as well if your tile is just ugly, but structurally sound.
These same folks turned a lovely dated aquamarine tile job into a
lovely white, covering all the grout as well and it looked fantastic.

The supplier I used used this process. There may be an affiliate in
your area:
http://kottkoatings.com/

These before and afters match my experience (though mine weren't quite
as dramatically awful in the "before" they were equally nice "after):
http://kottkoatings.com/koated_gallery.html

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question for Todd H

Hi Todd

I just checked and there is a Kotts Koatings dealer in my area.

Can you advise how long you have had your refinishing done? (The one
thing that I did find on this forum in regards to this issue is where
so many people seem to have had their bathtubs peel later.) I guess I
should add that even though this tub is in a guest bathroom, it does
get used every day.

Thanks again!
-Cathy Jean

Todd H. wrote:
"cathy jean" writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cathy jean" writes:

Hi Todd

I just checked and there is a Kotts Koatings dealer in my area.

Can you advise how long you have had your refinishing done? (The one
thing that I did find on this forum in regards to this issue is where
so many people seem to have had their bathtubs peel later.) I guess I
should add that even though this tub is in a guest bathroom, it does
get used every day.

Hi Cathy,

I sold that house, but before getting the job done, I checked the
references of the individual, all seemed to be actual people and not
designated shills. One was an apartment owner who'd used the process
in several buildings, and the refinish jobs on the tile had lasted 7
years at that point. Bathtubs I believe are easier to refinish than
tile, for whatever reason.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

It would be a shame to have to remodel your bathroom again shortly because
the old tub didn't work out. Much better to replace it now. Perhaps you
could give the tub to someone who would use it instead of sending it to the
dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 8 Jan 2007 14:29:15 -0800, "cathy jean"
wrote:

When my contractor was here yesterday, he pointed out that the old
adhesive from the old shower doors might leave stains (I can see some
brown staining around the old adhesive on the doors now) and that when
he removes the old tiles and Durock (like sheetrock) and replaces it
that it probably won't line up exactly with the old along the edge of
the tub and that there will likely be some discoloration exposed there.

Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues before? To me, it just

I had a friend who removed the aluminum door frame around his bathtub
and cleaned the walls and tub and put everything back. He was
satisfied he had gotten all the crud out and left no marks.

So maybe you can get the work done in two stages, or maybe you can
take out the doors before the contractor starts his work. Then you
can use sof-scrub or the cleanser with the little chicken (hasn't
scratched once) and clean the tub yourself before he even starts.

I think it is hard to tell now if can be cleaned or not, because you
just can't do a decent job of rubbing when the frame is in the way.
But not much will stick to the tub, and with the right product you can
get almost anything off without damaging the tub.

I think when he says discoloration, he's trying to make sure you
aren't disappointed in the job and disgusted with him, but that
doesn't really mean there will be anything you can't rub off in a
couple hours. Buy a lamb's wool buffer attachment for some power tool
if necessary, although hand is better. (I can never control disk on
power drills. How is one supposed to do that?)

Saving romex Eigenvector Home Repair 41 May 9th 16 10:05 PM
Saving Money easymoneyadvice Home Ownership 0 December 22nd 06 04:57 PM
Water Saving [email protected] UK diy 118 March 6th 06 04:37 PM
saving the fingers... Christian Woodworking 23 April 28th 05 01:20 AM
Saving An Old Atlas carl Metalworking 3 February 12th 04 08:18 PM