carl

Default Saving An Old Atlas

For years I have made do with a worn out 10" Atlas, but my limited skill
set limits what I can do with it. It is OLD and has very loose babit
bearings and a 5/8" lead screw. I am wondering if I could replace the
head with a newer timkin bearing casting and further what it would take
to upgrade to the later 3/4" lead screw.

Ive looked at replacing the lathe, but this one is otherwise complete
and more importantly fits the cramped space I have available.

Carl

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:27:05 GMT, carl wrote:

For years I have made do with a worn out 10" Atlas, but my limited skill
set limits what I can do with it. It is OLD and has very loose babit
bearings and a 5/8" lead screw. I am wondering if I could replace the
head with a newer timkin bearing casting and further what it would take
to upgrade to the later 3/4" lead screw.

Ive looked at replacing the lathe, but this one is otherwise complete
and more importantly fits the cramped space I have available.

Carl

Greetings Carl,
I have an old 6" Atlas that came with the babbit bearing headstock. I
bought a Timken bearing head stock and it fits. Probably the same for
your 10". Clausing sells Atlas parts and I bet they have that
leadscrew. The supports may need to be altered or replaced but I think
Clausing can tell you what's required.
ERS
jim rozen

In article , carl says...

For years I have made do with a worn out 10" Atlas, but my limited skill
set limits what I can do with it. It is OLD and has very loose babit
bearings and a 5/8" lead screw.

Do the headstock bearing caps have any shim left in them?

Jim

please reply to:

john

carl wrote:

For years I have made do with a worn out 10" Atlas, but my limited skill
set limits what I can do with it. It is OLD and has very loose babit
bearings and a 5/8" lead screw. I am wondering if I could replace the
head with a newer timkin bearing casting and further what it would take
to upgrade to the later 3/4" lead screw.

Ive looked at replacing the lathe, but this one is otherwise complete
and more importantly fits the cramped space I have available.

Carl

Yes, bearing 10" headstock will fit fine.

There is a yahoogroups group dedicated to the Atlas / Craftsman line of
lathes. Almost every question or idea you have with these machines has
been done by someone in this group.

I think the 3/4" lead screw is a simple conversion, but I don't remember
for sure. My 10" came with bearings and 3/4" lead screw. You will
still have the thin 3/8" ways, but it will do a lot of work.

John