Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low Flow Toilets on Septic Systems

We have a cottage and are putting in a septic system. We have an
unlimited suppy of water because it will be coming from the lake. Is
there any advantage to a low flow toilet when using a septic system
since the liquids will leach into the bed? Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well unless you have very very good drainage, there are limits to the
amount of water a leach bed will handle.

With the better models of current low volume toilets, there is no reason
not to use them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a cottage and are putting in a septic system. We have an
unlimited suppy of water because it will be coming from the lake. Is
there any advantage to a low flow toilet when using a septic system
since the liquids will leach into the bed? Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Well unless you have very very good drainage, there are limits to the
amount of water a leach bed will handle.

It's not just the drainage field. The septic tank is also affected by
excessive water influx.

To much water coming into the septic tank prevents it from properly
doing its job of separating the scum, the sludge, and the liquid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Well unless you have very very good drainage, there are limits to the
amount of water a leach bed will handle.

It's not just the drainage field. The septic tank is also affected by
excessive water influx.

To much water coming into the septic tank prevents it from properly
doing its job of separating the scum, the sludge, and the liquid.

As well as the slow build-up of deposits and bacteria and slime in the drain
field.

Septic systems aren't fool-proof and the first chance I get I'm swapping out
my toilet for a low flow.