Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoors downlighting

I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that
'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that
'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

They are called "recessed can lights" and can be found at electrical
distributors or the usual home center stores. You should install only
models UL listed for damp locations.

You can install screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs into standard can lights
for energy efficiency and longer lamp life; but it would be better to
install a can fixture made for the fluorescent source. I like the fixtures
made by Cooper (their "Halo" line) and used their H1313 and H1314 on my own
house.

The fixtures are well shielded so there's no glare or trespass lighting into
neighboring yards and they are well made. I like the way the light brings
out the texture of the wall materials plus the soft perimeter of light on
the shrubs and flower beds. Experiment with bulb wattages and go with the
lowest wattage you can for a subtle effect.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TKM" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

They're better for security, too, compared to the flood lights so often
installed by idiots who aim them directly into the street, thereby blinding
the cops when they arrive to check out the burglar you think is lurking
around the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They're just can lights? That sounds, well, too simple!

Do they make any surface mount type of thing for this? What about low
voltage lighting? would it save any power?

Good tips on the power usage thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
They're just can lights? That sounds, well, too simple!

Do they make any surface mount type of thing for this? What about low
voltage lighting? would it save any power?

Good tips on the power usage thing.

OK...now you're venturing into "I don't know how to tie my own shoes"
territory.

Go get your yellow pages phone book. Look up an electrical supply or
lighting place. Get in the car and visit these places.

Outdoors TV b Electronics Repair 5 July 7th 06 05:23 PM
Eating outdoors KTECH Home Repair 17 September 16th 05 09:00 PM
Finishing redwood for outdoors? Bill Woodworking 6 July 7th 05 07:10 PM
Recessed Downlighting for Kitchen Bruce Home Repair 3 April 11th 05 12:57 PM
laminate outdoors Scott Woodworking 2 December 21st 04 07:18 PM