DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   outdoors downlighting (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187207-outdoors-downlighting.html)

[email protected] December 27th 06 01:41 PM

outdoors downlighting

I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that
'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

Mikepier December 27th 06 02:48 PM

outdoors downlighting

wrote:
I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that
'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

I think they are just conventional hi-hats. I was looking into them at
one time, and an electrician I knew said they are the same hi-hats you
use in your house. I don't think they need to be outdoor rated either
since they are under an eave.

[email protected] December 27th 06 03:01 PM

outdoors downlighting

wrote:

I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that
'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called...

Energy hogs.

Nick

TKM December 27th 06 08:20 PM

outdoors downlighting

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that
'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

They are called "recessed can lights" and can be found at electrical
distributors or the usual home center stores. You should install only
models UL listed for damp locations.

You can install screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs into standard can lights
for energy efficiency and longer lamp life; but it would be better to
install a can fixture made for the fluorescent source. I like the fixtures
made by Cooper (their "Halo" line) and used their H1313 and H1314 on my own
house.

The fixtures are well shielded so there's no glare or trespass lighting into
neighboring yards and they are well made. I like the way the light brings
out the texture of the wall materials plus the soft perimeter of light on
the shrubs and flower beds. Experiment with bulb wattages and go with the
lowest wattage you can for a subtle effect.

TKM

JoeSpareBedroom December 27th 06 09:21 PM

outdoors downlighting

"TKM" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

They're better for security, too, compared to the flood lights so often
installed by idiots who aim them directly into the street, thereby blinding
the cops when they arrive to check out the burglar you think is lurking
around the house.

[email protected] December 28th 06 02:11 PM

outdoors downlighting

They're just can lights? That sounds, well, too simple!

Do they make any surface mount type of thing for this? What about low
voltage lighting? would it save any power?

Good tips on the power usage thing.

JoeSpareBedroom December 28th 06 02:26 PM

outdoors downlighting

wrote in message
ups.com...
They're just can lights? That sounds, well, too simple!

Do they make any surface mount type of thing for this? What about low
voltage lighting? would it save any power?

Good tips on the power usage thing.

OK...now you're venturing into "I don't know how to tie my own shoes"
territory.

Go get your yellow pages phone book. Look up an electrical supply or
lighting place. Get in the car and visit these places.

RickR December 29th 06 10:20 PM

outdoors downlighting

wrote:
They're just can lights? That sounds, well, too simple!

That's the point!

Do they make any surface mount type of thing for this? What about low
voltage lighting? would it save any power?

Yes,
Of course,
Depends on many factors...

Richard Reid, LC