Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating floor over unfinished basement.

Hello Eveyone,

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.
Anytime I add a circuit, soon I will be adding bridging, or just
walking on the flooor, I get fiberglass on me, boxes, and in my air.

I will be removing the fiberglass to shore up a bouncy floor, I want
to NOT put it back, and wondered what are my alternatives. I want
insulation that won't be declared a hazard on a couple decades(yeah
fiber glass is heading there). So after this ramble, can anyone offer
a suggestion?

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
Hello Eveyone,

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.
Anytime I add a circuit, soon I will be adding bridging, or just
walking on the flooor, I get fiberglass on me, boxes, and in my air.

I will be removing the fiberglass to shore up a bouncy floor, I want
to NOT put it back, and wondered what are my alternatives. I want
insulation that won't be declared a hazard on a couple decades(yeah
fiber glass is heading there). So after this ramble, can anyone offer
a suggestion?

tom

What about that denim/cotton insulation? I've heard that it's pretty decent
stuff really, and it doesn't shed microscopic particles of irritating glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - Yangzhou Shuguang Toothbrush Factory
http://www.xanga.com/sgtoothbrush , http://www.sunrisebrush.com ,
http://www.chinabboss.com , http://20six.co.uk/sgtoothbrush ,
http://www.xanga.com/sunrisebrush , http://sgtoothbrush.livejournal.com

Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees & Insoles Manufacturer - China Toplevel
Co.,Limited
http://www.xanga.com/shoetrees , http://www.xanga.com/shoetree ,
http://www.toplevel.net.cn

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating floor over unfinished basement. (now SPAM)

"shoetrrs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - Yangzhou Shuguang Toothbrush Factory
http://www.xaga.com/sgtoothbrush , http://www.sunrisebrush.com ,
http://www.cinabboss.com , http://20six.co.uk/sgtoothbrush ,
http://www.xaga.com/sunrisebrush , http://sgtoothbrush.livejournal.com

Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees & Insoles Manufacturer - China Toplevel
Co.,Limited
http://www.xaga.com/shoetrees , http://www.xanga.com/shoetree ,
http://www.tolevel.net.cn

Just another scum spammer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-12-25, Tom The Great wrote:

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.

I'm facing the same situation, and I've thought about it some,
although I haven't decided on anything yet. Another poster suggested
cotton batt insulation, which seems like a good idea and is one I'm
considering. The other option I've thought of is to attach a small
continuous angle bracket to the bottom of the sides of each joist and
use this to support rigid insulation.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Eveyone,

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.
Anytime I add a circuit, soon I will be adding bridging, or just
walking on the flooor, I get fiberglass on me, boxes, and in my air.

I will be removing the fiberglass to shore up a bouncy floor, I want
to NOT put it back, and wondered what are my alternatives. I want
insulation that won't be declared a hazard on a couple decades(yeah
fiber glass is heading there). So after this ramble, can anyone offer
a suggestion?

tom

I suggest removing it, doing all the work you need done, then putting it
back in (why waste good insulation) then cover the whole thing with plastic
or house wrap like Tyvek?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:31:18 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
.. .
Hello Eveyone,

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.
Anytime I add a circuit, soon I will be adding bridging, or just
walking on the flooor, I get fiberglass on me, boxes, and in my air.

I will be removing the fiberglass to shore up a bouncy floor, I want
to NOT put it back, and wondered what are my alternatives. I want
insulation that won't be declared a hazard on a couple decades(yeah
fiber glass is heading there). So after this ramble, can anyone offer
a suggestion?

tom

What about that denim/cotton insulation? I've heard that it's pretty decent
stuff really, and it doesn't shed microscopic particles of irritating glass.

I saw something like that on "this old house", now my memory serves
me, they said it offered sound dampening properties above fiberglass
because of its density. Might be an option, I have a 4 year old that
jumps too much and an office in the basement. I wonder how 'readily'
avalible this stuff is. Thanks for your suggestion.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 04:46:33 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2006-12-25, Tom The Great wrote:

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.

I'm facing the same situation, and I've thought about it some,
although I haven't decided on anything yet. Another poster suggested
cotton batt insulation, which seems like a good idea and is one I'm
considering. The other option I've thought of is to attach a small
continuous angle bracket to the bottom of the sides of each joist and
use this to support rigid insulation.

Cheers, Wayne

I have duct work, and wiring in joist area. Rigid seemed like it had
to be 'cut' perfect, or lots of gaps could be an issue. I was
thinking about a rail system close to the edge, and sliding the foam
boards up like drop ceiling tiles. I have to now find a product that
matches my imagination. So I can make comparisons.

thank you,

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:20:53 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Eveyone,

Looking for suggestions. I have an unfinished basement, with unfaced
fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists. I hate the stuff.
Anytime I add a circuit, soon I will be adding bridging, or just
walking on the flooor, I get fiberglass on me, boxes, and in my air.

I will be removing the fiberglass to shore up a bouncy floor, I want
to NOT put it back, and wondered what are my alternatives. I want
insulation that won't be declared a hazard on a couple decades(yeah
fiber glass is heading there). So after this ramble, can anyone offer
a suggestion?

tom

I suggest removing it, doing all the work you need done, then putting it
back in (why waste good insulation) then cover the whole thing with plastic
or house wrap like Tyvek?

Can tyvek be left exposed? Serious question, since vapor barriors on
insulation says they need to be covered with fire barrior. Just
thinking out loud, will look this up. Thank you!!!!!!!

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair
xxx xxx is offline

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 03:04:14 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Snip

Just another scum spammer

Don't reply, and repost links to spammers. You're helping to promote
them.

Merry Christmas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Snip

Just another scum spammer

Don't reply, and repost links to spammers. You're helping to promote
them.

Merry Christmas

Had you looked closer, you'd have seen the links would no longer work. When
possible, I reply with a copy directly to the spammer also to make them
aware that we don't care to be the target of their nonsense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:20:53 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

I suggest removing it, doing all the work you need done, then
putting it back in (why waste good insulation) then cover the whole
thing with plastic or house wrap like Tyvek?

Can tyvek be left exposed? Serious question, since vapor barriors on
insulation says they need to be covered with fire barrior. Just
thinking out loud, will look this up. Thank you!!!!!!!

tom

Good question. I had not thought of it as an inhabited space, but ...
??

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-12-26, Tom The Great wrote:

I wonder how 'readily' avalible this stuff is. Thanks for your
suggestion.

There are two makers of cotton insulation batts, www.bondedlogic.com
and www.innotherm.com. For a discussion of the material, see
http://www.builditgreen.org/resource/index.cfm?fuseaction=factsheet_detail&rowid=9

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-12-26, Tom The Great wrote:

Can tyvek be left exposed?

If you are concerned with leaving tyvek exposed, then that would rule
out rigid insulation, as I'm not aware of any that can be left exposed
to an inhabited space.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:38:30 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2006-12-26, Tom The Great wrote:

Can tyvek be left exposed?

If you are concerned with leaving tyvek exposed, then that would rule
out rigid insulation, as I'm not aware of any that can be left exposed
to an inhabited space.

Cheers, Wayne

Good point, I thought the metal foil stuff was ok.

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-12-27, Tom The Great wrote:

If you are concerned with leaving tyvek exposed, then that would rule
out rigid insulation, as I'm not aware of any that can be left exposed
to an inhabited space.

Good point, I thought the metal foil stuff was ok.

Oh, I don't know about that stuff. But I guess if you are treating
the basement space as habitable, why insulate between it and the first
floor? You could include the basement space in the thermal envelope
and insulate its boundary.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:

Can tyvek be left exposed? Serious question, since vapor barriors on
insulation says they need to be covered with fire barrior. Just
thinking out loud, will look this up. Thank you!!!!!!!

tom

I just did a little search and found this from DuPont:

9. Can DuPontT Tyvek® be used in attics? On roofs? Under Floors? On the
interior?

In 2006 DuPont introduced Tyvek® AtticWrapT, a unique, breathable membrane
that helps create an airtight seal to reduce air leakage and energy loss
through the roof. All other DuPontT Tyvek® products in Canada and the US
have been tested and approved as a product to be installed behind exterior
walls.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:36:09 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2006-12-27, Tom The Great wrote:

If you are concerned with leaving tyvek exposed, then that would rule
out rigid insulation, as I'm not aware of any that can be left exposed
to an inhabited space.

Good point, I thought the metal foil stuff was ok.

Oh, I don't know about that stuff. But I guess if you are treating
the basement space as habitable, why insulate between it and the first
floor? You could include the basement space in the thermal envelope
and insulate its boundary.

Cheers, Wayne

It's 'unfinished', meaning not insulated, and not heated(zero vents).
It's typically 10 degrees colder than the house. So the house came
with the floor joist area insulated, and made sense, I have warm
floors.

As for habitable, washer dryer, work area and computer is down there.
I tend to work with a jacket, and have not immediate plans to insulate
or heat the space.

tom