Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Insulating floor over unfinished basement.

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:36:09 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2006-12-27, Tom The Great wrote:

If you are concerned with leaving tyvek exposed, then that would rule
out rigid insulation, as I'm not aware of any that can be left exposed
to an inhabited space.

Good point, I thought the metal foil stuff was ok.

Oh, I don't know about that stuff. But I guess if you are treating
the basement space as habitable, why insulate between it and the first
floor? You could include the basement space in the thermal envelope
and insulate its boundary.

Cheers, Wayne

It's 'unfinished', meaning not insulated, and not heated(zero vents).
It's typically 10 degrees colder than the house. So the house came
with the floor joist area insulated, and made sense, I have warm
floors.

As for habitable, washer dryer, work area and computer is down there.
I tend to work with a jacket, and have not immediate plans to insulate
or heat the space.

tom