Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Cutting plastic with a band saw.

What would be better for cutting 1/16 and 1/8 inch plastic (lucite)
with a band saw: a metal cutting blade which has 24 tpi, more than
one needs to do a smooth job, or a wood cutting blade with 6 tpi,
fewer than one needs I think to do a smooth job.

I don't know why, but I"m afraid the metal-cutting blade either won't
cut or will overheat and melt the plastic; and that the coars wood
blade with chip and crack the plastic.

I know I can just try this, but it's a pain to change blades, and I
wanted to ask you guys anyhow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

a fine tooth plywood blade works great
or buy a lucite cutting blade for the tablesaw

if you insist on the band saw.....the finer the teeth the better, the more
teeth the better.
so I guess from the blades you seem to have..........the metal 24 tpi works
best.
pull it apart after it melts together from the heat build up.

"mm" wrote in message
What would be better for cutting 1/16 and 1/8 inch plastic (lucite)
with a band saw: a metal cutting blade which has 24 tpi, more than
one needs to do a smooth job, or a wood cutting blade with 6 tpi,
fewer than one needs I think to do a smooth job.

I don't know why, but I"m afraid the metal-cutting blade either won't
cut or will overheat and melt the plastic; and that the coars wood
blade with chip and crack the plastic.

I know I can just try this, but it's a pain to change blades, and I
wanted to ask you guys anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
What would be better for cutting 1/16 and 1/8 inch plastic (lucite)
with a band saw: a metal cutting blade which has 24 tpi, more than
one needs to do a smooth job, or a wood cutting blade with 6 tpi,
fewer than one needs I think to do a smooth job.

I don't know why, but I"m afraid the metal-cutting blade either won't
cut or will overheat and melt the plastic; and that the coars wood
blade with chip and crack the plastic.

I know I can just try this, but it's a pain to change blades, and I
wanted to ask you guys anyhow.

Check the Lucite fabrication guide he
http://www.lucitecp.com/literature.asp
Has what you need to know.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 21 Dec 2006 04:53:07 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

mm wrote:
What would be better for cutting 1/16 and 1/8 inch plastic (lucite)
with a band saw: a metal cutting blade which has 24 tpi, more than
one needs to do a smooth job, or a wood cutting blade with 6 tpi,
fewer than one needs I think to do a smooth job.

I don't know why, but I"m afraid the metal-cutting blade either won't
cut or will overheat and melt the plastic; and that the coars wood
blade with chip and crack the plastic.

I know I can just try this, but it's a pain to change blades, and I
wanted to ask you guys anyhow.

Check the Lucite fabrication guide he
http://www.lucitecp.com/literature.asp
Has what you need to know.