Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Cutting plastic with a band saw.

On 21 Dec 2006 04:53:07 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

mm wrote:
What would be better for cutting 1/16 and 1/8 inch plastic (lucite)
with a band saw: a metal cutting blade which has 24 tpi, more than
one needs to do a smooth job, or a wood cutting blade with 6 tpi,
fewer than one needs I think to do a smooth job.

I don't know why, but I"m afraid the metal-cutting blade either won't
cut or will overheat and melt the plastic; and that the coars wood
blade with chip and crack the plastic.

I know I can just try this, but it's a pain to change blades, and I
wanted to ask you guys anyhow.

Check the Lucite fabrication guide he
http://www.lucitecp.com/literature.asp
Has what you need to know.