Robert Kline

Default Cutting thick dowels on band saw

I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?
Thanks
Dave in Fairfax

Robert Kline wrote:
I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?

If those are th only choices, I'd say BS, but a lathe is designed
to do what you're asking for. Failing that, spoke shave or broom
planes comet to mind if you don't have a dowel making tool. I'm
sure it could be done with a router, but I'd use the lathe,
myself. The cheapest midi lathe will do the job, and allow you
other projects as well later on.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Lew Hodgett

Robert Kline wrote:
I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?
Thanks

There are lots of ways of doing this job; however, if you are limited to
a table saw or a band saw, I'd probably use a Vee block with a sled on a
table saw.

The vee block and the sled provide complete support while the dowel is
being thru cut and the sled provides a place to locate the stop for
making repetitive cuts.

Lew

I think Dave was thinking you want to turn the dowels from square
stock. Assuming you already have the dowels and only want to cut them
to length, Lew has good advice. I would only add that you can do the
same thing, with a slightly rougher result, on the band saw, but you
must incorporate a clamp into a v notch sled, which could run in the
miter slot of your saw, or else the blade will be likely to grab the
dowel and try to turn it, jamming the blade and possibly injuring you
and or the blade and saw.

Buddy Matlosz

"Robert Kline" wrote in message
I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?
Thanks

Send me a few dozen, I'll determine the appropriate method and get back to
you.

B.

Phisherman

Make a jig attached to the tablesaw miter. I think the table saw will
be more accurate and faster than the bandsaw. A miter saw is probably
my second (close) choice.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:36:22 -0500, Robert Kline
wrote:

I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?
Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote:

I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?
Thanks

I think I'd do it that way and set up a stop block on the fence to feed
against. In any case, be sure it is a safe setup. Doing repetitive
"mindless" work is easy to get lax with because you are more interested in
just getting it done that doing it safely.

Morris Dovey

"Robert Kline" wrote in message
I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?

Possibly less waste with a band saw. For a large number you might consider
an attachment to the miter guide that provides a stop on one side of the
blade and a (wooden) v-block with a toggle clamp on the other side to hold
work while cutting.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Rick Samuel

A small vise would be better yet. Turn it upside down so stock is on the
table.

mac davis

wrote:

I have to cut a large number of 2" diameter walnut dowels. Is there a
safe way to do this on a nand saw? Would a band saw or a table saw be
best?
Thanks

Robert... had the same problem last year, but with 3/4' dowel for bench dogs..

What worked great for me (on the TS) was to drill a 3/4" hole in a 2x4 and clamp
it to the miter gauge, with a stop block on the fence.. just push through until
it stops and run through the blade..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
How much torque necessary for metal cutting bandsaw? Terry G Metalworking 11 August 1st 04 04:47 AM
Cutting ceramic tile (?) Home Repair 7 July 12th 04 09:01 PM
Cutting hole in INCREDIBLY HARD ceramic tile GeekBoy Home Repair 12 June 14th 04 10:22 PM