Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for a generator?

"Abe" wrote in message
news
As many of you have probably heard on the news, the Pacific NW was
recently hit by huge long-lasting power outages due to weather. I was
one of those affected. To be prepared for next time, I want to buy a
generator that can power either my furnace or a couple of space
heaters, and four 23 watt compact fluorescent lights.

Space heaters?

For heat, I suggest you get a ventless LPG portable heater. These run on
those squat cylinders sold at camping supply stores for about $2.50 each.
The gas cans only last a few hours so you can also consider getting a hose
assemply that will permit your heater to run from a 20# LPG tank.

Alternatively, get a kerosene fueled heater.

I use the LPG ventless heater to warm my feet sometimes.

We have a 5 kW generator we picked up from Wally World for about $500. The
generator is a coleman and the engin is a tecumson. As soon as you get a
unit you should plan on where you will keep it when not in use and when you
will place it when it's operating. The best place is near the service
entrance when you can tap the ground connection for your entrance panel.
You definitely need to have the frame of your generator grounded to "ground"
and to the service entrance ground. I put in another ground rod and tied
everything together with #6 bare copper cable. You also have to decide
from the start where you store the gas and how much you keep around.

You add all this together and you discover why some folks just go ahead and
spend $8000 (plus) to have a professional installation of a "whole house"
automatic generator run from a BIG LPG tank.

You will have to decide how you will get the power from the generator to
your loads.

If you "do it right" you need a transfer switch. A 5 kW generator is
enough to power a LOT of stuff. I run the water pump, the ice box, and
most of the "small stuff" (TV, computers, lights, dishwasher). If I want
to use the electric stove or heat water, I have to shut off most of the
other stuff.

If you don't have enough power to keep the ice box running at least an hour
or two both morning and night, you will lose all your food.

?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You definitely need to have the frame of your generator grounded to
"ground"
and to the service entrance ground. I put in another ground rod and tied
everything together with #6 bare copper cable.

Why did you do that? The generator frame will be connected to ground when
you connect the generator to your panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:

You definitely need to have the frame of your generator grounded to
"ground"
and to the service entrance ground. I put in another ground rod and tied
everything together with #6 bare copper cable.

Why did you do that? The generator frame will be connected to ground when
you connect the generator to your panel.

If the neutral at the generator is bonded to the generator frame, yes.
Otherwise, no.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Toller"
wrote:

You definitely need to have the frame of your generator grounded to
"ground"
and to the service entrance ground. I put in another ground rod and
tied
everything together with #6 bare copper cable.

Why did you do that? The generator frame will be connected to ground when
you connect the generator to your panel.

If the neutral at the generator is bonded to the generator frame, yes.
Otherwise, no.

My generator neutral is connected to the panel neutral (and hence to the
ground) and my generator ground is connected to the panel ground. The
neutral is not bonded at the generator. That is how it is supposed to be.
If it is bonded you must be sure the neutral is not connected at the panel;
as the neutral and ground can only be connected once..

Didn't we just have this discussion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

You definitely need to have the frame of your generator grounded to
"ground"
and to the service entrance ground. I put in another ground rod and

tied
everything together with #6 bare copper cable.

Why did you do that? The generator frame will be connected to ground when
you connect the generator to your panel.

Call it "Belt & Suspenders."

I KNEW for a fact that my new ground was properly installed.

Recommendations for a generator? buffalobill Home Repair 3 December 22nd 06 11:26 AM
Generator Recommendations and Advise Amy L Home Repair 28 December 21st 06 03:46 AM
Recommendations for a generator? [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 19th 06 02:52 PM
generator Cuprager UK diy 4 July 19th 06 09:09 AM
Generator TheMightyAtlas Home Repair 37 December 16th 05 01:35 AM