Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wc siphon

when i flush toilet it continues to flow from the cistern while the cistern
is filling up again. i have replaced old siphon with new one and still the
same problem arises. to stop it i have to lift up ball cock until cistern
is empty and then it is ok. What is wrong?.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bryan wrote:
when i flush toilet it continues to flow from the cistern while the cistern
is filling up again. i have replaced old siphon with new one and still the
same problem arises. to stop it i have to lift up ball cock until cistern
is empty and then it is ok. What is wrong?.

Look closely at the flapper valve. Thats where the water exits to the
bowl, it lifted by a chain from the flush lever.

It should fall back into place when the lever is released and water
flow under the valve drops as the cistern empties.

The seat may be dirty, preventing a proper seal, or the chain may be
twisted stopping it from closing properly.

Replacing it isnt a big job and they arent very expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another very obscure possibility is that the water is rushing in so fast it
won't allow the flapper to drop. Try just barely opening the service valve
and see if that makes a difference. If so, you're done.

--
Steve Barker

"bryan" wrote in message
news:d489ed31d8a4c785440eb84065986011@homerepairli ve.com...
when i flush toilet it continues to flow from the cistern while the
cistern
is filling up again. i have replaced old siphon with new one and still the
same problem arises. to stop it i have to lift up ball cock until cistern
is empty and then it is ok. What is wrong?.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bryan wrote:
when i flush toilet it continues to flow from the cistern while the cistern
is filling up again. i have replaced old siphon with new one and still the
same problem arises. to stop it i have to lift up ball cock until cistern
is empty and then it is ok. What is wrong?.

I don't know what the innards of your wc are like, but a couple of years
ago I replaced an old float ball/arm fill valve in one of our toilets
with a "Fluidmaster" fill valve and had the same kind of problem.

The bowl refilling flow through that small tube stuck into the top of
the overflow tube was so strong it splashed back up when it hit bottom
it actually "blew" the flap valve open enough so it wouldn't seal.

I called fluidmaster about that and they said it was a well known
problem and that they'd pop a "refill tube restrictor" in the mail to
me, gratis.

I didn't want to wait, so I fixed the problem by sliding a couple of
three inch long pieces of wire solder inside the refill tubing, which
cut the flow down ebough to eliminate the problem. They're still in
there and as far as I can tell there's more than enough refill water
supplied to fill the bowl as high as it will go.

Maybe you've got a like situation?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Siphon knowledge Richard UK diy 26 July 11th 06 07:19 PM
too much toilet siphon [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 11th 06 07:35 PM
Toilet siphon ron UK diy 1 May 18th 06 01:07 PM
Gasoline siphon Stormin Mormon Home Repair 36 April 12th 05 06:38 AM
WC Siphon oulet size sid UK diy 2 December 21st 04 05:32 PM