Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to hire sheetrockers

I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the
hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do
I find one?

And how do I determine what a good price is? I want him to bring in
all the supplies. No ceilings, just exactly 8' high walls

Priced by the square ft? Man hours? I can measure the wall square
footage.

Should I pay him maybe half at start-up and the rest when I'm
satisfied he's done a good job.

How long should it take for him to do one large family room and one
mid-sized bedroom?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

IN my area PA, they charge $15.00 per sheet labor plus materials

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jack" wrote:
Why do you need to hire someone? Just curious to know what troubles you ran
into doing it yourself.

I can't speak for the OP... but from my perspective, it's a pain in the @$$.
Next time I need to do more than six or eight sheets, I'm definitely hiring
that out.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shopdog spake thus:

IN my area PA, they charge $15.00 per sheet labor plus materials

$15 per sheet *taped and mudded*, ready to paint? That sounds too cheap
to me. (Maybe because I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where you'd quickly
go broke charging rates like that.)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Shopdog spake thus:

IN my area PA, they charge $15.00 per sheet labor plus materials

$15 per sheet *taped and mudded*, ready to paint? That sounds too cheap
to me. (Maybe because I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where you'd quickly
go broke charging rates like that.)

Not far off for places outside of large metro areas methinks--that's
just under $0.50/sq-ft which ain't bad for plain wall, no overhead or
high work. SIL is about $0.65/sq-ft in Olympia area for simple work.
Surchages apply for overhead, high ceilings, complex corners or
similar...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:24:24 -0500, "Jack" wrotF:

Why do you need to hire someone? Just curious to know what troubles you ran
into doing it yourself.

I'm too old now. Kinda weak in theback.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the
hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do
I find one?

And how do I determine what a good price is? I want him to bring in
all the supplies. No ceilings, just exactly 8' high walls

Priced by the square ft? Man hours? I can measure the wall square
footage.

Should I pay him maybe half at start-up and the rest when I'm
satisfied he's done a good job.

How long should it take for him to do one large family room and one
mid-sized bedroom?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:36:25 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the
hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do
I find one?

And how do I determine what a good price is? I want him to bring in
all the supplies. No ceilings, just exactly 8' high walls

Priced by the square ft? Man hours? I can measure the wall square
footage.

Should I pay him maybe half at start-up and the rest when I'm
satisfied he's done a good job.

How long should it take for him to do one large family room and one
mid-sized bedroom?

Thanks.

An acquaintance recntly built two 5000 sf homes (garages finished
included).

I don't know the cost. But he did pay for the hanging by the sf and
the taping and mud, prep for paint was another cost by another crew.

Ceilings where 10', 14, and 16'.

You may save some by hanging the sheet rock vertical (8' high walls).

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 11:36 am, 46erjoe wrote:
I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the
hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do
I find one?

Need sheet rock?

What was the diagnosis on those baseboard heaters you have?

Did you find all the necessary info?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:03:56 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Shopdog spake thus:

IN my area PA, they charge $15.00 per sheet labor plus materials

$15 per sheet *taped and mudded*, ready to paint? That sounds too cheap
to me. (Maybe because I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where you'd quickly
go broke charging rates like that.)

Funny. Around here it will cost more than $15 with three of six
ceiling can lights covered up...

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:
I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the
hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do
I find one?

If you're going to supervise and help, the parking lot of big box store. I'd
offer $12/hr and lunch (Double Whopper, fries, soda).

How long should it take for him to do one large family room and one
mid-sized bedroom?

Plan on 8 hours. Do the hard stuff with his help. If you don't finish in
that time period, you'll just have tune-up stuff remaining.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Dec 2006 14:22:35 -0800, "Terry" wrotF:

On Dec 12, 11:36 am, 46erjoe wrote:
I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the
hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do
I find one?

Need sheet rock?

What was the diagnosis on those baseboard heaters you have?

Did you find all the necessary info?

I decided to go 10/2 30 amp on both and not worry about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would never do the mudding myself but just hanging drywall is pretty
easy IMO. Plan on doing 1400 sq ft. of my basement this winter...

Posted to alt.home.repair

No doubt. That's why I'll be sticking with 1/2" 4x8 sheets when I
start filling up my basement with them.

My truck (Chevrolet Avalanche) is going to be really nice for this
though. With the midgate open I can transport a nice stack 4x8 sheets
totally inside the vehicle with the tailgate closed. Rain/or snow the
cargo & passenger areas are protected from the elements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Dec 2006 04:47:48 -0800, "galacon"

I would never do the mudding myself but just hanging drywall is pretty
easy IMO. Plan on doing 1400 sq ft. of my basement this winter...

Yah- the hanging isn't so bad...

What no one has mentioned is the EXTREME HASSLE of getting the sh*t in
the friggin' basement in the first place LOL

That's when you REALLY need a strong back and weak mind!

http://www.goalelectrical.com

When I built my house I had 242 sheets delivered, that's 12' sheets
and it was supposed to rain that night. Never worked so hard in my
life than getting all that inside and of course the rain did not
happen, ;-(

--Ben