Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Custom storm door

I need to replace my custom storm door. It was fitted at that time (
before i bought the house ) with extra enclosures. I've shopped around
and most places are asking way out of hand for a simple storm door,
even if its custom made. The last quote I got was around $647.I suspect
that price does not include labor. Is it possible to get a door that
would fit that very enclosure? The door itself measures 32 1/2 wide to
82" in height. lowes and HD are out of the question, they insist that
they have to go by the regular measure of that opening and if necessary
add padded enclosures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to get a door that
would fit that very enclosure? The door itself measures 32 1/2 wide to
82" in height. lowes and HD are out of the question, they insist that
they have to go by the regular measure of that opening and if necessary
add padded enclosures.

Used to be, expanders were used to make the size adjustments. It has been
years since I've been involved with doors though. One option is to add a
trim strip to bring the opening down so a standard 80" door will fit. Check
for a local manufacturer also. We had a bunch of them when I lived in
Philadelphia. They would buy the extrusions and custom make any size you
needed with only a small up charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

try home depot again they alweays carried special order doors for
unique sizes.

ask for store manager he will likely know.

at this time of year seasonal reps arent very knowledgable

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to replace my custom storm door. It was fitted at that time (
before i bought the house ) with extra enclosures. I've shopped around
and most places are asking way out of hand for a simple storm door,
even if its custom made. The last quote I got was around $647.I suspect
that price does not include labor. Is it possible to get a door that
would fit that very enclosure? The door itself measures 32 1/2 wide to
82" in height. lowes and HD are out of the question, they insist that
they have to go by the regular measure of that opening and if necessary
add padded enclosures.

Your opening once you measure it can be adapted to fit a "standard sized"
storm door far cheaper than you can buy a custom fit model.

If you are going to try and DIY post back for more info or contact a local
handy-person for more information.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Anthona" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to get a door that
would fit that very enclosure? The door itself measures 32 1/2 wide to
82" in height. lowes and HD are out of the question, they insist that
they have to go by the regular measure of that opening and if necessary
add padded enclosures.

Used to be, expanders were used to make the size adjustments. It has been
years since I've been involved with doors though. One option is to add a
trim strip to bring the opening down so a standard 80" door will fit. Check
for a local manufacturer also. We had a bunch of them when I lived in
Philadelphia. They would buy the extrusions and custom make any size you
needed with only a small up charge.

Well that is where I got that $649 estimate...a small local
distributor...not a manufacturer though. This is Brooklyn, NY.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Evo Evo is offline

Anthona wrote:

I need to replace my custom storm door. It was fitted at that time (
before i bought the house ) with extra enclosures. I've shopped around
and most places are asking way out of hand for a simple storm door,
even if its custom made. The last quote I got was around $647.I suspect
that price does not include labor. Is it possible to get a door that
would fit that very enclosure? The door itself measures 32 1/2 wide to
82" in height. lowes and HD are out of the question, they insist that
they have to go by the regular measure of that opening and if necessary
add padded enclosures.

Why not just trim out the door to the standard 80X32 with trim strips? Then
go to any Box Store and buy your standard storm door to fit that opening.
Simple Stupid even if you live in NYC.

RV

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evo wrote:
Anthona wrote:

I need to replace my custom storm door. It was fitted at that time (
before i bought the house ) with extra enclosures. I've shopped around
and most places are asking way out of hand for a simple storm door,
even if its custom made. The last quote I got was around $647.I suspect
that price does not include labor. Is it possible to get a door that
would fit that very enclosure? The door itself measures 32 1/2 wide to
82" in height. lowes and HD are out of the question, they insist that
they have to go by the regular measure of that opening and if necessary
add padded enclosures.

Why not just trim out the door to the standard 80X32 with trim strips? Then
go to any Box Store and buy your standard storm door to fit that opening.
Simple Stupid even if you live in NYC.

RV

--
Well some of us stupid ones write here so we can get so called 'experts' like u the opportunity to criticize us. What is a Box store and where does one get trim strips? I hope this is not an embarrassing question to one with such expertise. i thought this was a forum where one can ask questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well some of us stupid ones write here so we can get so called 'experts'
like u the opportunity to criticize us. What is a Box store and where
does one get trim strips? I hope this is not an embarrassing question to
one with such expertise. i thought this was a forum where one can ask
questions.

A box store and a BORG are basically slam terms applied to the big old
retail giants that cherry pick the top selling merchandise to sell while not
stocking the harder to find stuff that we all need from time to time.

You really won't know what you need to build out the trim on the door until
you take the old one down and measure the existing opening. Then you have
to fire the cpu in your head and go to shopping. In most cases you can find
something that will work well enough and only needs to be cut to the proper
length. I am assuming you have minimal tools here. Even if you have to pay
a woodworking shop to rip and cut some stuff for you, it will be lot less
than the $500 difference in the price of the door.

The depth/thickness from outside to inside of the surface you need to build
out can vary from 3/4" to 1 1/4" depending on what the opening was trimmed
with. The actual thickness you need to build out can only be computed by
subtracting the standard 32" or 36" from the measured size. You actually
have a little margin because most doors sold today will work in 1/4" less
width than the stated size.

To reduce the height where brick mold is the trim I have used a single piece
to reduce by 2" and or double piece to reduce by 4". Depending on how you
mount it you can get a decorative effect that looks quite nice. For 3/4"
just use a 1x ripped to fit.and add a small piece of finish trim over the
seam.

To reduce the width of the opening I have used screen molding, lattice
strips, blind stop, and custom made pieces. The trim section is your
shopping area. Your maximum width reduction is about 5/8" on each side or
the new flange won't cover your seam

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Anthona" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I found this news to me and checked it out at home depot...Yes, they do
have expanders where one can enlarge the height of the door from 80" to
possibley a 1 and a 1/2 at the most. I went to check my door again at
home and sure enough there was an expander at the bottom.. So I
probably could buy the regular 80'' door with the expander and make up
some of the difference.

Installing a Storm Door Tony Home Ownership 8 October 23rd 06 08:52 PM
Replace Door, Storm Door, or just add weather stripping? Aaron Home Repair 0 February 20th 06 04:15 AM
custom storm door Boothbay Home Repair 3 January 15th 06 03:44 PM
Storm door Paul Home Repair 4 October 14th 04 01:41 AM