Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shaving Door by small amount

I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

use a sander

Posted to alt.home.repair

minder wrote:
use a sander

I don't have one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

minder wrote:
use a sander

I don't have one. Is there any other way to do it? I do have a
circular saw that I have not used much.

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Leo Leo is offline

I've done this by taking down the door and laying it on some saw horses (or
have two friends get down on all fours) . Clamp a straight edge across the
bottom of the door at the proper height (depends on the saw) then buzzing
off the bottom with a jigsaw or circular saw, either works well with a good
blade.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

minder wrote:
use a sander

I don't have one.

Well I should ask what tools do you have. I won't. I will just list your
choices. Pick the one you have.

Sander.
Hand or power plane.
Rasp.
A sharp knife but it will look like crap.
If you are still reading go buy one of the above or some sandpaper and do it
the hard way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Leo wrote:
I've done this by taking down the door and laying it on some saw horses (or
have two friends get down on all fours) . Clamp a straight edge across the
bottom of the door at the proper height (depends on the saw) then buzzing
off the bottom with a jigsaw or circular saw, either works well with a good
blade.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

I agree with leo. taking an eighth of with a sander is going to take a
LONG time anyway. use a straight edge for a saw guide,and dress the
cut up with a bit of hand sanding. use caution if it's a veneer door,
as the veneer can chip off. in that case, pre score the door where to
are going to cut it with a sharp utility knife (only need to do the
side that you are cutting from--the underside won't chip).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep a circular saw is best and a clamped straight
edge is essential. Might want to put masking tape
on all surfaces to be cut and push it on very
tightly. That will reduce or eliminate potential
tear out.

Leo wrote:
I've done this by taking down the door and laying it on some saw horses (or
have two friends get down on all fours) . Clamp a straight edge across the
bottom of the door at the proper height (depends on the saw) then buzzing
off the bottom with a jigsaw or circular saw, either works well with a good
blade.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Yep a circular saw is best and a clamped straight
edge is essential. Might want to put masking tape
on all surfaces to be cut and push it on very
tightly. That will reduce or eliminate potential
tear out.

I'd also suggest spending not-a-lot for a fine-toothed blade for this
one-time use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A hand held circular saw would be the first choice. Make sure to
use a straight edge and sharp knife to score through the face
veneer of the door and cut slightly below the score line to
prevent pulling long splinters in the veneer. A quick rub with a
piece of sandpaper on a wood block to get rid of the sharp edges
and a quick coat of varnish/paint/lacquer to seal the bottom of
the door. Rehang.___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just
enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the
door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:
minder wrote:
use a sander

I don't have one. Is there any other way to do it? I do have a
circular saw that I have not used much.

JD

I'm assuming Iyou don't have a hand plane either. If you haven't used
the circular saw very much you may want to practice before trying this
on the door.

Take the door off, lay it flat on saw horses or propped up off the
floor on a couple pieces of 2X4. Take your circular saw, unplugged at
this point, with the blade set for maximum depth, and with the guard
pulled back, push the blade up against the edge of the door to be
trimmed so that the side of blade is flat against that edge.

Now mark a line on the door against the edge of the saw shoe
that is laying on the door. Set the saw aside. Clamp a straight edge
of some kind, a straight board would be fine, to the door, parallel to
the edge to be trimmed, and 1/8" (or whatever the amount you want to
trim the door by) further away than the mark you made, less any amount
needed for sanding, planing, etc. to finish the saw cut.

Set your circ saw cut depth as necessary, plug it in, and hold it
tight to the straight edge guide board to trim the door edge. If
you have a good quality saw and blade, you may not need to sand or
plane the edge.

You don't need to buy a sander to do one door, just wrap some
sandpaper around a block of wood, and rub the edge if necessary to
smooth it. Depending on how rough the saw cut edge is, probably
80 grit would be adequate.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Dec 2006 18:47:08 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

tape sandpaper to the rug.

Dismount the door, and
take a handplane, sander, or tablesaw
to the bottom edge, depending on what
tools you own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
wrote:
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

Since the circular saw doesn't get used much, I'm a bit worried you'll
end up with a fubar door if you go that route. I recommend the hand
plane - less than $10 everywhere for a small one and you'll shave an
1/8" pretty quickly. You'll have much more control, and thereby have
much less chance of an "Oh crap!" moment.

if you are going to suggest he get a plane, you are also going to have
to give advice on how to set it up, plane endgrain without tearing it,
sharpen it, etc. there are plenty of ways to screw up with a plane
too, especially when a whole 1/8 has to come off.

Set up to some of us means lapping the plane sole dead flat
through progressively finer grits up to 400, then honing and
stropping the iron (the blade) until you can shave with it. If
the iron has a breaker cap, that too must be honed so that
it mates perfectly with the iron so that shavings won't jam
underneath.

For one door, use the circular saw with a fence. To prevent
splintering, you can score the cut line with a utility knife
OR tape it OR run the saw twice, the first time very shallow,
about 1/32", OR clamp a sacrificial 1/2" plywood strip over
top and cut the door and the plywood at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marson" wrote in
oups.com:

Leo wrote:
I've done this by taking down the door and laying it on some saw
horses (or have two friends get down on all fours) . Clamp a straight
edge across the bottom of the door at the proper height (depends on
the saw) then buzzing off the bottom with a jigsaw or circular saw,
either works well with a good blade.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door
from grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

I agree with leo. taking an eighth of with a sander is going to take
a LONG time anyway.

A belt sander with coarse grit takes it down pretty good.

use a straight edge for a saw guide,and dress the
cut up with a bit of hand sanding. use caution if it's a veneer door,
as the veneer can chip off. in that case, pre score the door where to
are going to cut it with a sharp utility knife (only need to do the
side that you are cutting from--the underside won't chip).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"
wrote in oups.com:

I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

If you do choose to do it yourself, you need to bring it up more than just
clearing for a bedroom door. For proper heating and/or AC airflow, a gap is
absolutely necessary.

Don't recall if it is 1/4" or 1/2". Someone will see this and post I'm
sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tape sandpaper to the rug.

that has to be the best idea ever
your a genius

Posted to alt.home.repair

tape sandpaper to the rug.

that is the best idea ever

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"
wrote in oups.com:

I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

If you do choose to do it yourself, you need to bring it up more than just
clearing for a bedroom door. For proper heating and/or AC airflow, a gap is
absolutely necessary.

Don't recall if it is 1/4" or 1/2". Someone will see this and post I'm
sure.

Depends on the system. Some houses are built with
a cold air return in nearly every room and
certainly in the bedrooms. So the door can be
very tight.

I want the doors in my house to just rub the top
of the carpet (door bottoms are smooth) and I
don't have cold air returns in the bedrooms.
Bedroom doors are normally open in my house.
Works just fine for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

minder wrote:
tape sandpaper to the rug.

that has to be the best idea ever
your a genius

Do you mean "you're" as in "you are"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack,
I have been a commercial, AGC rated master carpenter for over 40
years. I have never, and I have never seen a door bottom cut with
a router. I have seen them cut by many other methods. A router
would be absolutely the last tool I would have gotten out to do
the job. Do you still need to score the veneer to prevent
splintering with a router bit? When I have cut borrowed lite and
grille holes with a router and template, I have always scored the
veneer on the cross grain cuts, what have you found?

___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I have a bedroom wooden door that grabs the carpet just enough
that I want to shave
the bottom of the door by an eighth of an inch to prevent the
door from
grabbing.
Can someone tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks,

JD

Any good carpenter would use a router to cut it off, but my
advice is
for you to take door down carry it tio a cabinet shop and have
them do
the job. They will use a router. if they are woodworkers of
reliabilty
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
minder wrote:
tape sandpaper to the rug.

that has to be the best idea ever
your a genius

Do you mean "you're" as in "you are"?

yeah, i realized that right after i posted, (your is easier to write
than you're)
thanks for the correction