Default Bi-Fold Door - opening to small

I did not take into account corner bead and mud and now my opening for
a new 24" bifold door is a 3/4" to small. The opening is now 23 3/4"
and I know I need to allow some fudge for the door to open. Any
suggestions to fix this problem?? I can plane the door down, but on
which sides???? the hinge sides (the two centers) or the outside
edges?. I am not sure the construction of a bifold if there is solid
wood on the skeleton of the frame, enough to plane down?????

I will be posting one more door question-----I got myself in a pickle,
lol.

Thanks
Mickey

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I did not take into account corner bead and mud and now my opening for
a new 24" bifold door is a 3/4" to small. The opening is now 23 3/4"
and I know I need to allow some fudge for the door to open. Any
suggestions to fix this problem?? I can plane the door down, but on
which sides???? the hinge sides (the two centers) or the outside
edges?. I am not sure the construction of a bifold if there is solid
wood on the skeleton of the frame, enough to plane down?????

I will be posting one more door question-----I got myself in a pickle,
lol.

Thanks
Mickey

either fix the opening, or take equal amounts of each side.

I really do not want to re mud etc, I would rather plane down the door,
but which side??? Hinge side or the two outsides??

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I really do not want to re mud etc, I would rather plane down the door,
but which side??? Hinge side or the two outsides??

the 2 outsides. if you do the hinge in the middle, then you have to have
enough wood left over to remortise the hinges and screw into. i don't know
your particular door, but the one i had only had an 1" piece of wood there,
and taking 1/2 of it off would not be very strong.

Rudy

The opening is now 23 3/4"
and I know I need to allow some fudge for the door to open. Any
suggestions to fix this problem?? I can plane the door down, but on
which sides???? the hinge sides (the two centers) or the outside
edges?.

The "outside" rather than the hinge side(s) usually has a wider reveal so
I'd take it off the 2 outside edges. (BTDT)
I have a Delta 10" Unisaw with a 52" X72" table so I just run them thru the
saw rather than "planing".
I think you'll find there is about 1.75" of solid material in the 'edge',
of which you'll be trimming say 1/2" off.

calhoun

Remove the hinges and plane those sides then reinstall the hinges. If you
plane the outer edges you will have problems with the predrilled mounting
holes not having enough wood support around them.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I did not take into account corner bead and mud and now my opening for
a new 24" bifold door is a 3/4" to small. The opening is now 23 3/4"
and I know I need to allow some fudge for the door to open. Any
suggestions to fix this problem?? I can plane the door down, but on
which sides???? the hinge sides (the two centers) or the outside
edges?. I am not sure the construction of a bifold if there is solid
wood on the skeleton of the frame, enough to plane down?????

I will be posting one more door question-----I got myself in a pickle,
lol.

Thanks
Mickey

DanG

You should be able to look at the top or bottom of the door and
see the stile. The stile should be the same dimension the entire
length. It sounds as if you are trying to reduce the total width
1/4-1/2 " in two doors. Once you look at the stiles, decide
whether to take an 1/8-1/4 on the two outsides, or take 1/16-1/8
off each edge. You may be influenced by the hinges which are
either mortise or surface.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)