Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing cast iron tub

I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The
wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but
appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the
elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open
basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything
to worry about?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The
wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but
appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the
elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open
basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything
to worry about?

Thanks

Sorry - the tub was to be my second question. In the potential home the
tub was obviously placed in the washroom before the room was studded
out. Not an uncommon thing around here. It has to be removed from the
room. Is it feasible to break it up? cut it up or am I better off
knocking out a wall.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sledge hammer will break it if you don't see any value in keeping it whole.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The
wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but
appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the
elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open
basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything
to worry about?

Thanks

Sorry - the tub was to be my second question. In the potential home the
tub was obviously placed in the washroom before the room was studded
out. Not an uncommon thing around here. It has to be removed from the
room. Is it feasible to break it up? cut it up or am I better off
knocking out a wall.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The
wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but
appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the
elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open
basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything
to worry about?

It's always a good idea to remove any non-working wiring. The previous
owner probably told him the electrician to forget about removing it to
save himself some money. You should _definitely_ verify that _none_ of
the old wiring is live. You'd be surprised how many times wiring has
been upgraded and a couple of circuits from the old system remain in
use.

Sorry - the tub was to be my second question. In the potential home the
tub was obviously placed in the washroom before the room was studded
out. Not an uncommon thing around here. It has to be removed from the
room. Is it feasible to break it up? cut it up or am I better off
knocking out a wall.

Sledgehammer and have at it. Wear eye protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sledgehammer and have at it. Wear eye protection.

Ear protection as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

remove all traces of old wiring, and check entire home to confirm
theres none live.

often people try disquising their K&T is gone, when really stuff in the
wall is still active.

check receptables and lights to confirm boxes and grounds are in and
working.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:16:20 -0500, Dan Espen
wrotF:

writes:

wrote:
I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The
wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but
appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the
elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open
basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything
to worry about?

I had the same problem. Here's my solution: Get a few heavy sledge
hammers a few friends and a few six-packs. Pretend the tub is your
boss.

No and no.

Sorry - the tub was to be my second question. In the potential home the
tub was obviously placed in the washroom before the room was studded
out. Not an uncommon thing around here. It has to be removed from the
room. Is it feasible to break it up? cut it up or am I better off
knocking out a wall.

I've seen this on a remodel show.
Just hit it with a big hammer until it breaks.
I believe it has some scrap value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,

I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The
wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but
appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the
elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open
basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything
to worry about?

Thanks

Sorry - the tub was to be my second question. In the potential home the
tub was obviously placed in the washroom before the room was studded
out. Not an uncommon thing around here. It has to be removed from the
room. Is it feasible to break it up? cut it up or am I better off
knocking out a wall.

Thanks

2 questions for the price of 1.

1. No problem with leaving the 'abandoned' wiring in place, unless of
course removing it was in the contract with the electrician.

2. A cast iron tub can be broken up relatively quickly with a sledge
hammer. If it is of no value, you might want to break it up even if an
opening is available, since those CI tubs are HEAVY. OTOH, if a new
tub is replacing it, and a wall has to be opened up anyway....
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Sledgehammer and have at it. Wear eye protection.

Ear protection as well.

Draping it with blankets or tarps will cut down on the shrapnel.

Harry K

What paint works on a Cast Iron Tub? Mak Wilson Home Repair 7 December 20th 05 08:43 PM
acrylic vs cast iron bath tub pat Home Repair 10 May 8th 05 07:43 PM
Painting cast iron tub mo Home Repair 1 April 8th 05 11:50 PM
Cutting cast iron bath tub with circular saw Andrew Sarangan Home Repair 31 February 10th 05 01:08 PM
CLAWFOOT CAST IRON TUB- FLOOR REINFORCEMENT DaddyMonkey Home Repair 1 August 7th 04 07:33 PM