pat

Default acrylic vs cast iron bath tub

we are planning to remodel one of our bathrooms which is used
primarily by our daughter ans is also used as the "guest" bathroom.
the plans call for replacing a cast iron bathtub. are there any
benefits or drawbacks in using acrylic versus cast iron when we
replace this tub? she takes showers exclusively, however this is the
only "full" bathroom in the house. thanks for any/all advise &
recommendations.

If you are talking acrylic tub / shower unit v. cast iron tub + tile
surround, I'd go for a quality acrylic unit. We installed a Kohler unit
in 1978 / 79 and they look like new, are easy to clean, have no joints
to leak water.

TB

Harry K

pat wrote:
we are planning to remodel one of our bathrooms which is used
primarily by our daughter ans is also used as the "guest" bathroom.
the plans call for replacing a cast iron bathtub. are there any
benefits or drawbacks in using acrylic versus cast iron when we
replace this tub? she takes showers exclusively, however this is the
only "full" bathroom in the house. thanks for any/all advise &
recommendations.

Costwise the acrylic will be far cheaper by the time you retile. I am
with Bellsouth. One piece shower tub, no seams to leak or collect
crud. Wife wanted a glass shower door but I convinced her to use a
curtain. Keeping a glass shower door clean is a constant hassle vice
throwing the curtain in the wash.

Harry K

Colbyt

"pat" wrote in message
we are planning to remodel one of our bathrooms which is used
primarily by our daughter ans is also used as the "guest" bathroom.
the plans call for replacing a cast iron bathtub. are there any
benefits or drawbacks in using acrylic versus cast iron when we
replace this tub? she takes showers exclusively, however this is the
only "full" bathroom in the house. thanks for any/all advise &
recommendations.

It is really hard to move around a cast iron tub in an existing structure.

The only disadvantage that I can think of to the acrylic is that cigarette
butts will burn it if left laying on the tub rim. That is the only damage
tenants have managed to do them over a period of about 20 years.

Colbyt

Dorothy Roper

I know the cost of a ceramic tub is a lot more than for an acrylic tub but
the reason is that the ceramic tub lasts a lot longer and is easier to take
care of than the other one. My ceramic tub in my old house still looked
like new after almost 25 years. The acrylic tub has had to be refinished
after 15 - and no one ever used it for anything but showers.

"pat" wrote in message
we are planning to remodel one of our bathrooms which is used
primarily by our daughter ans is also used as the "guest" bathroom.
the plans call for replacing a cast iron bathtub. are there any
benefits or drawbacks in using acrylic versus cast iron when we
replace this tub? she takes showers exclusively, however this is the
only "full" bathroom in the house. thanks for any/all advise &
recommendations.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 May 2005 07:59:42a, Harry K wrote in alt.home.repair:

pat wrote:
we are planning to remodel one of our bathrooms which is used
primarily by our daughter ans is also used as the "guest" bathroom.
the plans call for replacing a cast iron bathtub. are there any
benefits or drawbacks in using acrylic versus cast iron when we
replace this tub? she takes showers exclusively, however this is the
only "full" bathroom in the house. thanks for any/all advise &
recommendations.

Costwise the acrylic will be far cheaper by the time you retile. I am
with Bellsouth. One piece shower tub, no seams to leak or collect
crud. Wife wanted a glass shower door but I convinced her to use a
curtain. Keeping a glass shower door clean is a constant hassle vice
throwing the curtain in the wash.

Harry K

I'd be sorely discouraged of taking showers if I didn't have a glass shower
door. Shower curtains are a royal PITA to take a shower withi.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Hmm.... I put cast iron tubs in my house (Kohler Villager, at $249
each), and the cost is about the same
as acrylic....
Advantages of cast:
--lasts almost forever (don't drop a hammer in one)
-- holds the heat a LOT longer (that is, if the person knows how do to
it right, that is put in the hottest water, and wait a few mins for
the iron to bring the temp down to a non scorching temp ;-)
-- no flexing
-- no scratching
-- quieter, in surrounding rooms

disadvantage:
-- heavy to install
-- needs a decent surround, like tile, though there are acrylic
surrounds

Thus my specific comment "that is, if the person knows how do to
it right"

MUADIB®

It was noted by a poster in recent months, that removing a cast iron
tub can be quite difficult. Therefore it might be recommended to go
with Acrylic.

I can vouch for Cast Iron being a far more durable product in my lifes
experience though, and would recommend cast iron. Friendly to all
types of cleaners, and looks nice as long as it's cared for. Pretty
much several generations of usage without damage to the coating.

Both have their drawbacks, both have their advantages.

Cats iron (usually coated with porcelain ) will chip if something
heavy/sharp is dropped in it. Next to unrepairable without visual
reminder, and many times will rust out due to exposed metal. However
it can be done by spending a great deal of cash to have it done.
Damage is far more difficult to this product.

Drop the same item in an Acrylic tub, and you may not be able to bathe
*that day* without pouring water through the bottom of the tub and
destroying home structure. Repairs would be made with
fiberglass/acrylic repair materials, and look like hell also. (keep in
mind, this is only one persons experience) If an acrylic tub is cared
for , thay do look nice and last a long time. juts nowhere near as
long as a cast iron one. And..........You must be carefull what
cleaners you use ojn an acrylic tub. Some cleaners will eat the
surface (shine) off the tube and make it next to ugly.

See, both Suck.........LOL

Either way, it's truely about whether you like the "feel" of which,
and what kind of money you'd like to spend.

Like I have said (this for the third time) this is only my experience.
The products built today may not be as good when buying a cast iron
model, as they were in the past, and the Acrylic tubs may be far
superior to what I have dealt with even lately.

Good luck.

we are planning to remodel one of our bathrooms which is used
primarily by our daughter ans is also used as the "guest" bathroom.
the plans call for replacing a cast iron bathtub. are there any
benefits or drawbacks in using acrylic versus cast iron when we
replace this tub? she takes showers exclusively, however this is the
only "full" bathroom in the house. thanks for any/all advise &
recommendations.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

John Hines

MUADIB® wrote:

It was noted by a poster in recent months, that removing a cast iron
tub can be quite difficult. Therefore it might be recommended to go
with Acrylic.

They break apart with a sledge hammer. I won't say easy, cause it
wasn't me that did it. Be careful the broken edges are very sharp, as
are the shards of porcelain, leather gloves are a must. Two man job.

If your redoing the walls at the same time, it is easier, since you've
now got that extra inch of clearance. Then slap backer board on the
walls, and tile away. Rock solid.