Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave socket help needed

The plug socket for the microwave has stopped working. I need to replace it.
I don't know how many watts it should be. Is that the proper word - watts?
For years we had a wire hanging in the cupboard for a vent fan we never put
in. I just went out and bought a double socket (3 prong) and case for it.
When I went to buy one today they told me I would need to know how many
watts it was, there were choices like 15 and 20.

What wattage is a normal socket? I am wondering if it broke because it was
not large enough. How can I find out how many watts that line is? It is in
the kitchen and I would think it was a little stronger than the other plugs
in the house. The house is 30 years old. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Microwave circuits need to be 15 amps (not watts). For this, you will need
at least 14 gauge wire.

That said, it is unlikely that the outlet stopped working. It is more likely
that the circuit breaker tripped--have you checked that? A lot of older
homes do not have dedicated circuits for the microwave. It doesn't take a
lot more than a coffeemaker or kettle in addition to the micro to get that
circuit to trip--especially if the original is only 15 amps.

If the micro has a dedicated circuit and the breaker tripped, you may have
something wrong with the wiring leading to the outlet or with the microwave
itself as a microwave alone should not trip a 15 amp (or larger) circuit.

--

"Autumn" wrote in message
. net...
The plug socket for the microwave has stopped working. I need to replace
it. I don't know how many watts it should be. Is that the proper word -
watts? For years we had a wire hanging in the cupboard for a vent fan we
never put in. I just went out and bought a double socket (3 prong) and
case for it. When I went to buy one today they told me I would need to
know how many watts it was, there were choices like 15 and 20.

What wattage is a normal socket? I am wondering if it broke because it was
not large enough. How can I find out how many watts that line is? It is in
the kitchen and I would think it was a little stronger than the other
plugs in the house. The house is 30 years old. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's possible, but unlikely, that the problem is the outlet itself.

Plug something else into the outlet. Does it work?
If it works, the microwave has a problem.
If it doesn't work, then it's likely you popped a circuit breaker back at
the panel. Did you check that?
Did any other outlets stop working? If so, then you have other possible
issues.

Outlets are measured in Volts ac and Amps ac. The reason the guy asked for
the uwave wattage was to calculate the ampere-size needed for the socket.
Sound like he was a newbie or just being careful.

If this is all too confusing or makes no sense, then you definitely need to
get an electrical contractor in there to see whether things are set up
safely. I doubt it'd take a decent contractor more than ten minutes to tell
you what's wrong or not wrong.

Pop

Autumn wrote:
The plug socket for the microwave has stopped working. I need to
replace it. I don't know how many watts it should be. Is that the
proper word - watts? For years we had a wire hanging in the cupboard
for a vent fan we never put in. I just went out and bought a double
socket (3 prong) and case for it. When I went to buy one today they
told me I would need to know how many watts it was, there were
choices like 15 and 20.
What wattage is a normal socket? I am wondering if it broke because
it was not large enough. How can I find out how many watts that line
is? It is in the kitchen and I would think it was a little stronger
than the other plugs in the house. The house is 30 years old. Any
suggestions?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the only electric socket that does not work. It as put in by my
son-in-law, who is not an electrician but has wired two homes with his dad.
I made the purchase of the socket that was used without knowing they are
rated by certain amps.

Everything else in the kitchen works. The circuit breaker did not trip. The
microwave works, I checked that by running a very short heavy duty extension
cord to it. It is one of those that are hung over the stove.

I looked at the circuit breakers in the basement, they are all marked as to
what room they go to and they have the amps at the end of the switches. The
kitchen says 20 amps and the kitchen dining room says 15. Seems like the
microwave would be on the 20 considering the location of the plug. Not sure
how to test it since it is not working, there is no way to figure it out by
turning off the circuit breakers.

Not sure if this additional information is any help but hoping so.

Thank you for both the replies, it is appreciated.

Autumn