Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Microwave socket help needed

It's possible, but unlikely, that the problem is the outlet itself.

Plug something else into the outlet. Does it work?
If it works, the microwave has a problem.
If it doesn't work, then it's likely you popped a circuit breaker back at
the panel. Did you check that?
Did any other outlets stop working? If so, then you have other possible
issues.

Outlets are measured in Volts ac and Amps ac. The reason the guy asked for
the uwave wattage was to calculate the ampere-size needed for the socket.
Sound like he was a newbie or just being careful.

If this is all too confusing or makes no sense, then you definitely need to
get an electrical contractor in there to see whether things are set up
safely. I doubt it'd take a decent contractor more than ten minutes to tell
you what's wrong or not wrong.

Pop

Autumn wrote:
The plug socket for the microwave has stopped working. I need to
replace it. I don't know how many watts it should be. Is that the
proper word - watts? For years we had a wire hanging in the cupboard
for a vent fan we never put in. I just went out and bought a double
socket (3 prong) and case for it. When I went to buy one today they
told me I would need to know how many watts it was, there were
choices like 15 and 20.
What wattage is a normal socket? I am wondering if it broke because
it was not large enough. How can I find out how many watts that line
is? It is in the kitchen and I would think it was a little stronger
than the other plugs in the house. The house is 30 years old. Any
suggestions?
Thank you.