Posted to alt.home.repair
Autumn Autumn is offline

Default Microwave socket help needed

The plug socket for the microwave has stopped working. I need to replace it.
I don't know how many watts it should be. Is that the proper word - watts?
For years we had a wire hanging in the cupboard for a vent fan we never put
in. I just went out and bought a double socket (3 prong) and case for it.
When I went to buy one today they told me I would need to know how many
watts it was, there were choices like 15 and 20.

What wattage is a normal socket? I am wondering if it broke because it was
not large enough. How can I find out how many watts that line is? It is in
the kitchen and I would think it was a little stronger than the other plugs
in the house. The house is 30 years old. Any suggestions?

Thank you.