Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Surface mount lamp bases?

Anybody know a source -- a search on eBay found receptacles and a few
switches plus the round ceramic lamp bases, but I'd like half-dozen or
so old-style surface mount bases for a string of lights in the old
machine shed as the simplest way to go...found some new, old stock
locally but they all have the pull-chain integral switch which I would
prefer to not have for these. If all else fails, may go back and get
them. DAGS and a site search at both GE and Leviton w/ no luck,
either, although apparently the full GE wiring products catalogs aren't
online near as could tell....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have replaced the pull chain socket/switch in the past with non-pull
chain types. Alternatively, just pull the switch "on" and then cut the
chain off close, or simply don't put a string on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Anybody know a source -- a search on eBay found receptacles and a few
switches plus the round ceramic lamp bases, but I'd like half-dozen or
so old-style surface mount bases for a string of lights in the old
machine shed as the simplest way to go...found some new, old stock
locally but they all have the pull-chain integral switch which I would
prefer to not have for these. If all else fails, may go back and get
them. DAGS and a site search at both GE and Leviton w/ no luck,
either, although apparently the full GE wiring products catalogs aren't
online near as could tell....

Just buy a string of construction lights and hang them up. You can get
them at Depot or Lowe's. As a plus you get insulated connections and
lamp guards in a pre made assembly that actually meets current codes
which the old style bases with exposed connections won't. Probably even
UL listed.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

If had either within 80 miles might consider it. Section I saw here
was 50' w/ 5 lamps for roughly $75, roughly 3-4X the cost of a few
bases given already have all the wire and other stuff needed. There is
the advantage of a guard, but given where these will go, they'll be out
of direct line of where stuff can hit them anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

Use these then:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...P-L&lpage=none

If they aren't nearby, order online and pay a few $ for shipping.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I won't fool w/ Lowes web site as it requires a local zip
code as they seemingly think everybody of any importance to them lives
in a metro area -- even your link brings up a request to enter a zip
code as I "will be shopping at my local store" -- as if there _were_ a
local store, again within 80-100 miles -- actually, I think they're
closer to 200 as I don't think they have one in the same location as
the nearest HD and it's another 100 mi further than that to anywhere of
real size. I again saw no convenient way to simply get to an online
catalog page -- if they even had that, I might consider them
occasionally, but not likely for this purpose as the alternative is
perfectly adequate for my needs. I don't have the zip codes of other
locales memorized and their find one engine previously sent me in an
endless loop I'm not trying again. That's not a rant against you, but
against Lowes and brain-dead website developers...

If I don't find the switchless ones somewhere, I'll just go on w/ the
ones that I did find and ignore the pull chain -- it's just one more
(albeit a very unlikely event) thing to go wrong and an unnecessary
expense (though again, probably less than a buck/base).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

Just put in your friggin' zip code, it doesn't matter. You can order
online. It's a proper approved hanging IDC lamp socket for like $2.09.
Order 10 online and have them ship.

Pete C.