Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building a cabin, info source?

I'm thinking about building a cabin and need some sources for info and
design.
It would be about 500 sq ft. and would have a well and septic system, and
would be built and insulated for winter conditions in the Rockies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:
I'm thinking about building a cabin and need some sources for info and
design.
It would be about 500 sq ft. and would have a well and septic system,
and would be built and insulated for winter conditions in the Rockies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Start by checking local building codes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:
I'm thinking about building a cabin and need some sources for info and
design.
It would be about 500 sq ft. and would have a well and septic system, and
would be built and insulated for winter conditions in the Rockies.

Even a small cabin can be hard to build up in the high country.
Building codes can be restrictive and actively enforced. Well and
septic can be big problems. Some old cabins are grandfathered but they
never have any water or septic save for running streams and snow melt.
Try to get a look at any newer cabins in the area. If you really wan't
such a very small space you could consider a travel trailer or camper.
Some are suitable for winter use and have self contained water and
plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Poster named North, on misc.survivalism is making a small cabin. Load
up the usenet group on your server. Download the old messages, and go
ask him how things are working out with his cabin.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm thinking about building a cabin and need some sources for info and
design.
It would be about 500 sq ft. and would have a well and septic system,
and
would be built and insulated for winter conditions in the Rockies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:31:51 GMT, "Kurt Gavin"
wrote:

I'm thinking about building a cabin and need some sources
for info and design. It would be about 500 sq ft. and would
have a well and septic system, and would be built and insulated
for winter conditions in the Rockies.

How much experience do you already have in
construction? Are needing help with how to
design and build a building in general, or
specifically a winter cabin in the mountains?

I gotta say that I'm a little skeptical about
whether an amature is going to be able to
drill a well halfway up a mountain. Or even
whether there will be water available at all.

The septic system is likely to require
a liscenced company to do the design
and install.

So that just leaves the box itself,