Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repost: Raising main trunk

I am finishing my basement. I have a main trunk running down the
center of the house. It looks like it can be raised up about 4 inches to
snug up against the first floor joists. I need all the headroom I can
possibly get.
..
Can this be done? Any idea on cost (I know this is an unfair question). I
am guessing I need some sort of transition boot where the duct would get
cut. Would this cut air flow if a transition was put in? I don't have much
HVAC experience, but it doesn't seem like this would be a huge job.
..
Thank you for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
Can this be done?

Yes

Any idea on cost (I know this is an unfair question). I
am guessing I need some sort of transition boot where the duct would get
cut.

Can't answer without seeing it. Aside from the obvious shorten the duct on
one end, lengthen the other end, there may be other factors. Anything
blocking it? Pipes run over top of it?Is it rectangle or round? Any branches
along the section to be raised?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nothing blocking it. No pipes above it. There are flexible branches that
are up in the joist space. It is a straight-shot for about 25 feet.
..
Edwin, I don't understand what you mean when you write 'shorten the duct on
one end, lengthen the other end'
..
Thank you for your time.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Jack" wrote in message
Can this be done?

Yes

Any idea on cost (I know this is an unfair question). I
am guessing I need some sort of transition boot where the duct would get
cut.

Can't answer without seeing it. Aside from the obvious shorten the duct
on one end, lengthen the other end, there may be other factors. Anything
blocking it? Pipes run over top of it?Is it rectangle or round? Any
branches along the section to be raised?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
Edwin, I don't understand what you mean when you write 'shorten the duct
on one end, lengthen the other end'
.
Thank you for your time.

I was not clear there. Not the duct being raised, the ones it is attached
to. If it goes up to the floor above with an elbow, the duct it connects to
must be shortened. Same at the other end if it is coming from the furnace
and making a turn. Depending on the setup, possibly an "S" turned piece to
join the low and high parts would do. Is that what you mean by a transition
piece?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message ...
I am finishing my basement. I have a main trunk running down the
center of the house. It looks like it can be raised up about 4 inches to
snug up against the first floor joists. I need all the headroom I can
possibly get.
.
Can this be done? Any idea on cost (I know this is an unfair question).
am guessing I need some sort of transition boot where the duct would get
cut. Would this cut air flow if a transition was put in? I don't have
much
HVAC experience, but it doesn't seem like this would be a huge job.
.
Thank you for your time.

It would be much easier to leave the duct in place and install the ceiling
the height you want and cover or paint the duct to blend it in. Raising the
trunk normally requires a lot of reworking to hook the runs back up to the
trunk unless you home has flex duct. And if you have pipe in place it is not
wise to replace it with flex duct. Installer normally try to run the trunk
as close to the members as they can while still leaving enough room to get
the drops and runs off the trunks. You need to look at what it will take to
hook the runs and drops backup before you commit, raising the trunk isn't
the difficult part. You can have a sheet metal shop or HVAC contractor come
out to measure and fabricate a new transition, if properly made the static
lose will be minimum. I'd be more concerned with what you might have to add
in the way of fitting to reconnect the runs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin wrote:
Depending on the setup, possibly an "S" turned piece to join the low and
high parts would do. Is that what you mean by a transition piece?

Yes, Edwin. That is exactly what I meant. I didn't know what it was
called. Thank you again. The info you gave me was very helpful. Thanks
to'jolt' as well.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

Raising main truck Jack Home Repair 6 November 26th 06 01:12 AM
INSPIRATION - Trunk J T Woodworking 0 January 8th 06 12:46 AM
Radial-main, Ring-main or Spur? Dazzler UK diy 7 August 11th 05 04:26 PM
sycamore tree trunk - what to do bob Woodworking 2 September 7th 04 07:36 AM
Restoring a wooden trunk Alex UK diy 3 July 6th 03 10:51 PM