Alex

Default Restoring a wooden trunk

I been given a wooden trunk - the type that you might take to boarding
school. (Ithink this one has been further afield though - it has
Bombay amongst other places stencilled on it - anyway I digress). The
wood is in good condition but the metal banding which protects the
edges has rusted.

Anyone know where a good source for this is? and perhaps for some
metal corner protectors too?

TIA

Alex

malchick AT BritishTelecom Openworld DOT com
(abbreviate company address to email)
BigWallop

"Alex" wrote in message
I been given a wooden trunk - the type that you might take to boarding
school. (Ithink this one has been further afield though - it has
Bombay amongst other places stencilled on it - anyway I digress). The
wood is in good condition but the metal banding which protects the
edges has rusted.

Anyone know where a good source for this is? and perhaps for some
metal corner protectors too?

TIA

Alex

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/spelter.htm Very interesting read Alex.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Nick Nelson

Alex wrote:

I been given a wooden trunk - the type that you might take to boarding
school. (Ithink this one has been further afield though - it has
Bombay amongst other places stencilled on it - anyway I digress). The
wood is in good condition but the metal banding which protects the
edges has rusted.

Do you mean rusty, or rusted through? If the former I'd be tempted to
try and restore using the existing metalwork rather than replace it
with something which might not look right.

Nick
Alex

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:28:52 +0100, Nick Nelson
wrote:

Alex wrote:

I been given a wooden trunk - the type that you might take to boarding
school. (Ithink this one has been further afield though - it has
Bombay amongst other places stencilled on it - anyway I digress). The
wood is in good condition but the metal banding which protects the
edges has rusted.

Do you mean rusty, or rusted through? If the former I'd be tempted to
try and restore using the existing metalwork rather than replace it
with something which might not look right.

Nick

Rusted through. And torn in places - imagine tea chest quality. I
want to replace it with something more durable