Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Locked out scenario

I was visiting my niece for thanksgiving day and today ( friday ) a
woman across the street had locked herself out of her home. She came
across to us to ask for help. She had no backup key around the area,
her son was working for the day, and obviously could not get into her
home. We suggested that she call a locksmith, but for some reason she
hesitated..probably the cost..I told her she should have a secret spot
for a backkup key in the event like this would happen. All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith? She
finally had to call her son and he worked about 30 miles from home and
came back to solve the situation. But what if a locksmith was not
available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Nov 2006 15:48:25 -0800, "Anthona" wrote:

[...]

First. verify that it's really her house.

Then break a basement window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
[...]

I have come in basement windows a couple of times. They are usually the
easiest way in. Of course you can break a window, or if you are really
good, pick a lock . It might take me many hours to pick a lock, my father
(a locksmith) could do it is seconds.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Its probably way out of date as an idea , but when I was a kid , a
trusted friend nearby had a spare key. If we got locked out we just
went to see them and got the key.

This was in a time where most Moms stayed home.

I dont like hidden keys , they are usually too easy for a thief to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Anthona" wrote:
[...]
But what if a locksmith was not
available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.

Our previous house had a fenced yard, where we let the family dog (a large and
"protective" Australian Shepherd) run loose whenever we were away.

The spare key was on his collar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an electronic push button lock connected to the garage door (uses
four digit code), good when I am doing yard work etc and need to get into
the garage without going into the house first. As long as you have ac
power, you can get in. I believe I bought it about 15 years ago at Sears
for $29, also have a buried (in a jar) hidden key just in case.

"Anthona" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

First,how do you KNOW she actually lives there?
I'd be wary of helping a stranger asking for help breaking into "their"
house.

You could keep a key hidden in a garden shed locked by a combination lock.
A man could keep a spare key in his wallet. A woman could keep one on a
neck chain.

Also,if you only use a DEADBOLT lock that must be locked using a key,then
you don't get locked out.
Using doorlocks that latch behind you without any key leads to lockouts.
Deadbolts are better security anyways.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Anthona wrote:
[...]

The best place for the backup key may be with a trusted neighbor
rather than hidden somewhere outside the house.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
"Anthona" wrote:
[...]
But what if a locksmith was not
available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.

Our previous house had a fenced yard, where we let the family dog (a large and
"protective" Australian Shepherd) run loose whenever we were away.

The spare key was on his collar.

That reminds me of the rough neihborhood I used to live in. There was
a very small-statured woman, under 5 ft tall, who sometimes walked
her great dane on my block. Instead of carrying her purse on her own
shoulder, she put the purse straps around the dog's neck.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in

All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe
places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake
rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a
shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it
could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have
to use a little ingenuity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "Anthona" wrote:
[...]

But what if a locksmith was not
available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.

Our previous house had a fenced yard, where we let the family dog (a large and
"protective" Australian Shepherd) run loose whenever we were away.

The spare key was on his collar.

That's how we have always done it!

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
In article .com,
Anthona wrote:
[...]

How many people even KNOW their neighbors, these days?

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been a locksmith for 21 years. I'm sure not gonna tell you and
the rest of the world how to break into houses.

How dare you ask such an absurd thing!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Anthona" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brilliant!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...

Our previous house had a fenced yard, where we let the family dog (a
large and
"protective" Australian Shepherd) run loose whenever we were away.

The spare key was on his collar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Brilliant!

How so? Shoot the dog, now you're in!

Posted to alt.home.repair

have a friend who got locked out once, he cemented a stub of
galavanized pipe into a wall under his porch, hid the key inide the
pipe and screwed on a cap. i seriously doubt anyone would think of
that.

When I lived alone I had a spare key taped to the wiring just inside my
pole light. screwdriver outside, loosened one screw, removed top got
key used that once, neighbor walked up and noted so thats where you
hide your key

I have taped spare car key to wiring harness under car. inconveient but
secure access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Nov 2006 05:17:10 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Anthona" wrote in
roups.com:

[...]

Yes. That's one advantage of deadbolts. You can't lock yourself out
that easily.

Deadbolts are better security anyways.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:01:29 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Anthona" wrote in

All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe
places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake
rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a
shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it
could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have
to use a little ingenuity.

The more unusual, the more secure. This is one of those situations
where the LEAST popular place is better.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

wrote:

"Anthona" wrote in

All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe
places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake
rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a
shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it
could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have
to use a little ingenuity.

Put a key in a baggie and bury it in the yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 09:18:48 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Brilliant!

How so? Shoot the dog, now you're in!

If they're willing to shoot the dog,
they're willing to break a window.

And that all assumes that whoever's
robbing your house reads the newsgroup
where you're bragging how you secure it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Anthona" wrote in

All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe
places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake
rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a
shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it
could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have
to use a little ingenuity.

The more unusual, the more secure. This is one of those situations
where the LEAST popular place is better.

Although the fake rock is an excellent place to hide
an exploding dye pack...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was " who stated:

have a friend who got locked out once, he cemented a stub of
galavanized pipe into a wall under his porch, hid the key inide the
pipe and screwed on a cap. i seriously doubt anyone would think of
that.

Deadbolt.

Problem solved.

-Don (CAN'T lock hisself outta his house anymore!)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

where does one buy those?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote in
news
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Brilliant!

How so? Shoot the dog, now you're in!

If they're willing to shoot the dog,
they're willing to break a window.

And that all assumes that whoever's
robbing your house reads the newsgroup
where you're bragging how you secure it.

Shooting guns in residential areas draws a lot of attention.
Also,one shot does not always put down a dog on the spot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, " wrote:
have a friend who got locked out once, he cemented a stub of
galavanized pipe into a wall under his porch, hid the key inide the
pipe and screwed on a cap. i seriously doubt anyone would think of
that.

Well, they wouldn't have... until now...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Goedjn wrote:

Although the fake rock is an excellent place to hide
an exploding dye pack...

You don't need the dye, use a stick of 60% and you can read in the
newspaper who it was

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/ (add .com after geocities)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Anthona" wrote in

All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe
places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake
rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a
shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it
could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have
to use a little ingenuity.

Put a key in a baggie and bury it in the yard.

In the bottom of an old rusty bucket full of horse manure.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

wrote:

"Anthona" wrote in

All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

I've had the problem a couple of times over the years. There are safe
places where a key can be hidden outside. I don't mean those stupid fake
rocks though. They can be out of site in a shed, under a deck, behind a
shutter, under a fence post cap, on a tree, birdhouse, etc. In her case, it
could have been in the locked garage since she had an opener. You just have
to use a little ingenuity.

Put a key in a baggie and bury it in the yard.

In the bottom of an old rusty bucket full of horse manure.

That's the first place they look. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just walk into the bank with a handgun and yell "put all your money in
this big, dark bag that I can't see what you're putting into the bag,
and I'll turn and look the other way now, tell me when it's done".

They will give you one for free.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .

Although the fake rock is an excellent place to hide
an exploding dye pack...

where does one buy those?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's how I get lockout business. I take the key out of the rusty
bucket of horse manure, and replace it with my business card "Lockout
service of...."

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"GWB" wrote in message
Put a key in a baggie and bury it in the yard.

In the bottom of an old rusty bucket full of horse manure.

That's the first place they look. G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, " wrote:
have a friend who got locked out once, he cemented a stub of
galavanized pipe into a wall under his porch, hid the key inide the
pipe and screwed on a cap. i seriously doubt anyone would think of
that.

Well, they wouldn't have... until now...

--

people nationwide looking for abandoned pipes trying to unscrew caps.

one may gas them or shoot them with compressed gasses or water

clue hide your house key at the neighbors, they can do the same.

anyone finding the key wouldnt be able to get in

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to be evil, hide a bunch of keys in lots of obvious and
non-obvious places.. Only you know which key actually works in your
locks.. The rest are similar (same brand, same keyway), and fit into,
but will not operate the locks. If you have had your locks rekeyed, use
the old keys, or ask your local locksmith for some mis-cut keys..

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:

If one has a pipe wrench, it's just as easy to use it on the doorknob :/

Easier still on a window...

--
Regards,