Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Locked out scenario

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

One thing I heard a few years ago was to put a note on your door. One
that appears to be written to a family member warning of the poisonous
south American snakes loose inside (the real family members know you
don't have any snakes).

Get REAL.

Sheesh,more idiotic UseNet "advice".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

i locked myself out and have deadbolts.........

went out thru garage and locked it, i doubt any garages have dead bolts
on the regular garage door

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith?

heh, nope.

i am not sure the locks work on my doors. never used them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 6:48 pm, "Anthona" wrote:
I was visiting my niece for thanksgiving day and today ( friday ) a
woman across the street had locked herself out of her home. She came
across to us to ask for help. She had no backup key around the area,
her son was working for the day, and obviously could not get into her
home. We suggested that she call a locksmith, but for some reason she
hesitated..probably the cost..I told her she should have a secret spot
for a backkup key in the event like this would happen. All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith? She
finally had to call her son and he worked about 30 miles from home and
came back to solve the situation. But what if a locksmith was not
available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.

Chances are its not a dead-bolt, in which case the lock can probably be
defeated with a credit card.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Nov 2006 01:25:26 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

One thing I heard a few years ago was to put a note on your door. One
that appears to be written to a family member warning of the poisonous
south American snakes loose inside (the real family members know you
don't have any snakes).

Get REAL.

Sheesh,more idiotic UseNet "advice".

It's not idiotic. The problem is that you thought it was supposed to
be serious.

BTW, Where I heard it was in this group, a few years ago (although I
added the South American part).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Nov 2006 17:48:32 -0800, "
wrote:

i locked myself out and have deadbolts.........

went out thru garage and locked it, i doubt any garages have dead bolts
on the regular garage door

I've seen garage doors that do, although not doors with openers.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
i locked myself out and have deadbolts.........

went out thru garage and locked it, i doubt any garages have dead bolts
on the regular garage door

My kitchen- garage door has a deadbolt. To bolt the overhead door, I have
to turn the outside handle, but then the electric opener has a fit, because
they aren't interconnected (usually they disable the manual lock, but this
install was a DIY by previous owner.) Yeah, in theory I could lock myself
out. I have a BIG back yard- I probably oughta stash a rust-proof key out
there somewhere, in one of the nooks and crannies in the shed or something.
But since I always arrive by car, the same keyring that started the car has
a house key on it. And nobody else ever drives me home....

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

To avoid this scenario DON'T hide your key outdoors or buy a fake rock
- these are not secure options - someone could see you accessing your
hiding place or rock, or a squirrel could steal your shiny keys. Buy a
combination-lock keybox, just like realtors use. Think about it!
Keyboxes lock securely to a door handle where they remain out of the
way and ready to come to the rescue should you ever be locked out. Any
hardware store sells 'em. Secret spot for your key - humbug! Spend
$25 on a keybox with a 4 digit combo. (You can change the combo as
often as you like. Don't use your house address for the combo!) If you
don't want to lose your house key from your pants pocket at work, keep
it in a keybox on your front door handle.
Having said this, I can tell you that a keybox is no match for a
sledgehammer and a concrete surface - I busted one open in one blow, no
problem (but I was lucky to keep the contents intact!) If a keybox box
is locked to your door handle, it'd be easier for a highly determined
and brazen criminal to use a sledgehammer on your front door lock
itself. But mostly only the police do that sort of thing. How's that
for reassurance?

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or put a key on the collar of your crazy huge dog, but make it a fake
key to a fake door on your neighbor's house, which is full of fake
neighbors that are actually crazy huge dogs with snakes on their
collars(some can have fake snakes) and then just unload at the whole
mess of 'em, dude.

Whoever suggested booby trapping something with explosives is a
foolish, childish, inhumane and uncivilized vigilante dip****. "Sorry,
son, I meant to gore the hands and face of some other drug-addicted
thief. How're those painkillers treating you now?" Deadbolt and
keybox. There is little more to discuss, if one wishes to discuss
reasonable solutions.

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Windows are even easier. Why put an expensive lock right next to a
window? The fact is that door locks only keep the neighbor kids
out.

--
Keith

Funny one day I fpound the neighbors kids running thru our home, they
came in thru the doggie door

I wasnt mad but sent them home telling them to ask mom and dad why this
was a bad idea...

the parents called I was just concerned for their safety, with 4 dogs
they could do little damage here

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

On 28 Nov 2006 01:25:26 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote in
m:

One thing I heard a few years ago was to put a note on your door. One
that appears to be written to a family member warning of the poisonous
south American snakes loose inside (the real family members know you
don't have any snakes).

Get REAL.

Sheesh,more idiotic UseNet "advice".

It's not idiotic.

Yes,it is.
such venomous snakes generally require permits to keep,standards for their
housing and care,they have the potential for escape and harming others.
They also will not discriminate between a burglar and you,your family,or
someone's curious kid.

Nor will any real thieves pay attention to your little "note".

The problem is that you thought it was supposed to
be serious.

This is not alt.jokes.idiotic

BTW, Where I heard it was in this group, a few years ago (although I
added the South American part).

Oh,hearing it HERE makes it "sensible"? Sheesh.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I was visiting my niece for thanksgiving day and today ( friday ) a
woman across the street had locked herself out of her home. She came
across to us to ask for help. She had no backup key around the area,
her son was working for the day, and obviously could not get into her
home. We suggested that she call a locksmith, but for some reason she
hesitated..probably the cost..I told her she should have a secret spot
for a backkup key in the event like this would happen...

[snip]

Leaving a key out in the open for someone to find is a bad, bad, bad
idea. Do NOT do this, please. Watch "It Takes A Thief" on the Discovery
Channel to see just how easy it is for a predator to break into your
home, let alone you leaving an invitation to do so under that garden
gnome in the side yard.

If a person wants to have a back-up key somewhere, I would propose a
few options:
(1) leave a key with a couple different neighbors rather than one; this
reduces the chances that the one neighbor who has a key isn't home
(2) give a key to a friend who lives or works close by
(3) I don't know if these are still made, but I used to have one of
those credit card-sized plastic emergency keys for my car I'd carry in
my wallet. I'd bet they could cut one to a door key. Of course, this
only works for a woman if she has her purse but not keys, but most
women I know keep their keys in their purse, so...FWIW.
(4) get one of those electronic, weather-resistant lock boxes that
require the person punch in a code to gain access, and leave a key in
there. You can get one for $25-50 at any real estate supply company
(Google is your friend!).

Personally, I prefer option 4, and given the number of times I've
locked myself out of the house in the past two years, I am asking for
one for Christmas!

Posted to alt.home.repair

only works for a woman if she has her purse but not keys, but most
women I know keep their keys in their purse, so...FWIW.
(4) get one of those electronic, weather-resistant lock boxes that
require the person punch in a code to gain access, and leave a key in
there. You can get one for $25-50 at any real estate supply company
(Google is your friend!).

I'd rather trust a mechanical combination lock than
a cheap electrinic one, myself.