Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] zometool@hotmail.com is offline

Default Locked out scenario

To avoid this scenario DON'T hide your key outdoors or buy a fake rock
- these are not secure options - someone could see you accessing your
hiding place or rock, or a squirrel could steal your shiny keys. Buy a
combination-lock keybox, just like realtors use. Think about it!
Keyboxes lock securely to a door handle where they remain out of the
way and ready to come to the rescue should you ever be locked out. Any
hardware store sells 'em. Secret spot for your key - humbug! Spend
$25 on a keybox with a 4 digit combo. (You can change the combo as
often as you like. Don't use your house address for the combo!) If you
don't want to lose your house key from your pants pocket at work, keep
it in a keybox on your front door handle.
Having said this, I can tell you that a keybox is no match for a
sledgehammer and a concrete surface - I busted one open in one blow, no
problem (but I was lucky to keep the contents intact!) If a keybox box
is locked to your door handle, it'd be easier for a highly determined
and brazen criminal to use a sledgehammer on your front door lock
itself. But mostly only the police do that sort of thing. How's that
for reassurance?

Anthona wrote:
I was visiting my niece for thanksgiving day and today ( friday ) a
woman across the street had locked herself out of her home. She came
across to us to ask for help. She had no backup key around the area,
her son was working for the day, and obviously could not get into her
home. We suggested that she call a locksmith, but for some reason she
hesitated..probably the cost..I told her she should have a secret spot
for a backkup key in the event like this would happen. All windows were
shut, garage door remote she had, but there is no access to the house
through the garage. Has anyone faced this problem and somehow managed
to get into your home without the benefit of calling a locksmith? She
finally had to call her son and he worked about 30 miles from home and
came back to solve the situation. But what if a locksmith was not
available for one reason or another..holiday or just closed.