Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone Lines and Electrical Wiring

On residential new construction, how close can a interior phone line be to
electrical wiring without being affected by electromagnetics? Can they
cross each other?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The "book" on phone wiring says you can run them perpendicular but not
parallel to each other. I've run them parallel in the same drilled holes in
studs for short distances with no problems

"JWJWJ" wrote in message
news:92d41fc0e2af8a99ee1153d2da99e2f9@homerepairli ve.com...
On residential new construction, how close can a interior phone line be to
electrical wiring without being affected by electromagnetics? Can they
cross each other?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Others will tell you different, but I have ran phone, cat5e and Romex all
together. In fact, when I wired my garage, the phone cable (I used cat5e
cable) was ziptied to the main run of Romex cables for the whole garage. No
problems with it at all. My phone cable is brought to my house hanging
underneath the main lines, and people want you to believe that a 120V cable
is going to cause a interference problem. nada!

"JWJWJ" wrote in message
news:92d41fc0e2af8a99ee1153d2da99e2f9@homerepairli ve.com...
On residential new construction, how close can a interior phone line be to
electrical wiring without being affected by electromagnetics? Can they
cross each other?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J.A. Michel" wrote:

Others will tell you different, but I have ran phone, cat5e and Romex all
together. In fact, when I wired my garage, the phone cable (I used cat5e
cable) was ziptied to the main run of Romex cables for the whole garage. No
problems with it at all. My phone cable is brought to my house hanging
underneath the main lines, and people want you to believe that a 120V cable
is going to cause a interference problem. nada!

It would if you were using the old four wire, non twisted cat 0 phone
wire. Since you are using cat 5 wire which is twisted pair the twist
cancels out the common mode interference that would most certainly have
been picked up with the old untwisted wire.

As for the drop to the house which is likely non twisted drop cable, it
is not in close enough proximity to be a problem. The magnetic field
that induces interference drops off in strength rapidly with distance.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I realize the original post was about phone wire, but I'd be interested
to see a data analyzer hooked up to some cat 5 data cables that were
run next to electrical wires. I'd be curious as to how many dropped
packets and retransmissions due to errors would occur. The average
user might not ever notice a problem but errors like these increase
network traffic and would drive a network engineer up a wall.

Pete C. wrote:
"J.A. Michel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
JWJWJ wrote:
On residential new construction, how close can a interior phone line be to
electrical wiring without being affected by electromagnetics? Can they
cross each other?

Thye can be right next to each other abd touching without any
electrical interference, but it won't meet code on safety.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , on Fri, 24 Nov
2006 23:32:51 -0600, wrote:

In article om,
JWJWJ wrote:
On residential new construction, how close can a interior phone line be to
electrical wiring without being affected by electromagnetics? Can they
cross each other?

Thye can be right next to each other abd touching without any
electrical interference, but it won't meet code on safety.

Not sure about the interference, but you're right about not meeting
code. The NEC, in Sec. 800.133, specifies a 2 inch separation between
"communication cables" and power cables unless the cables are somehow
physically separated, such as by a conduit.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , on Sat, 25 Nov
2006 02:03:15 -0500, wrote:

Read 800.133(A)(2)exception 1, the jacket of NM cable is "separation".
The 2" refers to individual conductors.

I stand corrected.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"DerbyDad03" wrote:

I realize the original post was about phone wire, but I'd be interested
to see a data analyzer hooked up to some cat 5 data cables that were
run next to electrical wires. I'd be curious as to how many dropped
packets and retransmissions due to errors would occur. The average
user might not ever notice a problem but errors like these increase
network traffic and would drive a network engineer up a wall.

Agreed, but I think your concern is EXACTLY WHY Cat5e was developed.

I suspect that, except in isolated cases, electromagnetic interference with
Cat5e is virtually non-existent. I'd bet that you'd find more drops and
retries due to poor connections such as at routers, patch panels, and
improperly made/crimped RJ45 ends, to name a few likely spots. Just a
thought...
--

JR

Where are ya, Ma, when
we really need ya?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
krw wrote:

The twist rate is much larger than an inch, no?

No.

In ethernet/Cat5 cable, the twist rate is several, full twists PER inch.
Someone more familiar with LAN cable probably knows the rate.

I wouldn't think a problem with the twist in the last
inch wouldn't matter much.

It would. ...and apparently does.

I have spoken with several techs in recent years that claim it is CRITICAL to
CONTINUE the twist ALL THE WAY to as "flush with/against" the connector as
possible.
--

JR

Running Electric, Phone and Television lines Zaphod Home Repair 17 April 1st 06 10:21 PM
phone lines pockets UK diy 2 October 18th 05 05:28 PM
Question on Addition and Power/Phone/Gas Lines Bradley V. Stone Home Repair 1 April 19th 05 12:16 AM
How to Extend 5 Phone Lines by 15-ft? [email protected] Home Repair 37 January 17th 05 09:22 PM
Vonage service and house phone lines - help ADC Home Repair 4 July 25th 04 07:36 PM