Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Phone Lines and Electrical Wiring

In article . com,
"DerbyDad03" wrote:

I realize the original post was about phone wire, but I'd be interested
to see a data analyzer hooked up to some cat 5 data cables that were
run next to electrical wires. I'd be curious as to how many dropped
packets and retransmissions due to errors would occur. The average
user might not ever notice a problem but errors like these increase
network traffic and would drive a network engineer up a wall.

Agreed, but I think your concern is EXACTLY WHY Cat5e was developed.

I suspect that, except in isolated cases, electromagnetic interference with
Cat5e is virtually non-existent. I'd bet that you'd find more drops and
retries due to poor connections such as at routers, patch panels, and
improperly made/crimped RJ45 ends, to name a few likely spots. Just a
thought...
--

JR

Where are ya, Ma, when