Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood burning stove sits beneath roof-top deck - how to run chimney?

i am installing a chimney for a friend's wood burning stove, but it
sits in a part of the house above which is a flat, roof-top deck. how
do i run the chimney for this? straight through the roof? if so, how
high does the chimney need to be? if i go through-the-wall and then up,
again, how high should the chimney be? thanks so much in advance for
any help!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Nov 2006 11:41:21 -0800, "kenickie"
wrote:

i am installing a chimney for a friend's wood burning stove, but it
sits in a part of the house above which is a flat, roof-top deck. how
do i run the chimney for this? straight through the roof? if so, how
high does the chimney need to be? if i go through-the-wall and then up,
again, how high should the chimney be? thanks so much in advance for
any help!!

If you don't know the answer to these questions, you shouldn't
be doing this job. Maybe on your OWN house, but not on
someone else's.
The chimney must be more than 24" above
anything within 10' of it. Do you have any idea how
you're going to seal around the roof penetration so that
it doesn't leak?

I'm assuming this is a metal chimney.. Do you know
what clearances it requires for going
through roofs and walls?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Note that if you do not install the woodstove, chimney, and hearth pad to
code - have it inspected by building inspector *and* insurance company, and
there is a fire because of this, the insurance company will NOT pay for
damage.

I did not want to risk losing everything, so I paid around $3000 for an EPA
woodstove (required), a stainless steel chimney double lined (required), and
a properly sized hearth pad. I got a building permit and had everything
inspected by the building inspector and my insurance company. I also needed
to change my insurance to cover a woodstove.

Instructions for properly installing a woodstove come with each *specific*
model of woodstove. Size of chimney, distance from walls, and size of hearth
pad are different for each model of woodstove.

Also chimney manufacturers installation instructions...
http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/PremiuminstallGuide.pdf

http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/chim/...m_Prod_Cat.pdf

wood burning stove John Kelly UK diy 7 October 13th 06 03:01 PM
Installing pellet stove into existing prefab wood stove chimney northcountry Home Repair 2 May 16th 05 03:53 PM
wood burning stove [email protected] UK diy 2 April 24th 05 05:28 AM
Wood burning stove PacKat Home Repair 3 December 21st 04 02:16 PM
Wood burning stove Martin Carroll UK diy 4 October 12th 03 08:44 PM