Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default wood burning stove sits beneath roof-top deck - how to run chimney?

Note that if you do not install the woodstove, chimney, and hearth pad to
code - have it inspected by building inspector *and* insurance company, and
there is a fire because of this, the insurance company will NOT pay for
damage.

I did not want to risk losing everything, so I paid around $3000 for an EPA
woodstove (required), a stainless steel chimney double lined (required), and
a properly sized hearth pad. I got a building permit and had everything
inspected by the building inspector and my insurance company. I also needed
to change my insurance to cover a woodstove.

Instructions for properly installing a woodstove come with each *specific*
model of woodstove. Size of chimney, distance from walls, and size of hearth
pad are different for each model of woodstove.

Also chimney manufacturers installation instructions...
http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/PremiuminstallGuide.pdf

http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/chim/...m_Prod_Cat.pdf

"kenickie" wrote in message
i am installing a chimney for a friend's wood burning stove, but it
sits in a part of the house above which is a flat, roof-top deck. how
do i run the chimney for this? straight through the roof? if so, how
high does the chimney need to be? if i go through-the-wall and then up,
again, how high should the chimney be? thanks so much in advance for
any help!!